Outward Bound

KZ007

I'm research the yacht Outward Bound. It was designed By Laurie Davidson and was sailed by Digby Taylor in the 1980-81 Whitbread. Does anyone have any photos of the yacht? She seems like New Zealands forgotten Whitbread yacht.

Boat was in a storage yard at Mount Maunganui last time I saw it about a year ago, the rig is tied to the fence at the travel lift yard in Tauranga, some one should get it out sailing but would be a very costly exercise I imagine.

Here are a couple of shots, from the Admiral's Cup trials in 1981 (she wasn't really a contender, just used the series as part of her build up for the Whitbread).

Good that she is still in NZ, but yes, a big project to get sailing again for sure - last I saw of her she was sponsored by Qantas (back when they still had cash) for a women's offshore campaign, early 90s I think.

Outward Bound_1.jpg

Outward Bound_2.jpg

Digby is still around. He's central NI - possibly Rotorua? He's working with moulded plastic and doing some techhie stuff. I suspect some of the lurkers here have been dealing with him.

Outward Bound was at the Bridge Marina in Tauranga for several years. She had a lot of time and love spent on her 5? years ago. Someone else posted why she is parked up.

The picture of OB iced up in the Southern Ocean is still one of the most memorable shots ever (in my opinion) of the Whitbread. It is a far cry from what the Volvo has become.

Ken Carter owns Outward Bound and as far as I am aware it is still in his storage shed on Portside Drive. He had started to do some work refitting the inside of her.

I did a bit of sailing back in 2004 on OB with Ken. That year we did Auckland toTauranga race. Attached photo of Outward Bound sailing Tauranga Harbour 2004.

DSC00171.JPG

Archived