Navman 3100 log

Changed

I have repaired three out of the four so far and they are working fine for now. Mine were suffering from the age old problem of display only partially working with a whole bunch of digits missing. If I ran the instrument lights for long enough they would come back to life temporarily.

I followed the video clip but could only get the displays to work if I held pressure on the contacts. I worked around this by putting some foam door seal tape on the bottom of the display and used the cover to hold pressure down. You can't see it from the outside. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

You said yours was showing all black when you turned it on? Mine didn't do that. It's probably still worth a try. It can't get any worse than what you have.

If Mercenary is still down at Bucks I'm happy to meet you down there if you want a hand to have a look.

Hey Ferrari,

Cheers for the offer. I removed the Depth readout today and thanks to your video and a $15 LCD from surplustronics its all up and running again! That is a serious gem of a Video. Buy that man a rum!!!

Thanks heaps guys, that saved me a bit of money... :-)

Oh no don't start me on Navman displays.... I like the usability but over the years I've had so many repaired/replaced units that I've dropped more digits than a mafia Don. So next time I'll be forced to make the switch to another brand - which will be annoying cos I'll end up with a mix of 3 different brands all trying to talk to each other where previously I could do it all easily under Navbus. Sailing is complicated enough without the basics letting you down - so good luck with repairing your unit, if you can find an ex Navman engineer they sometimes know what to do for a few beers.

Hey Rob- Many of the AdvanSEA instruments will work with Nafman.

I've gone to a AdvanSEA multi after knees killed the screens on my earlier Nafmans.

Replaced my Chart plotter unit with a new Nafman (end of line sale).....it started fogging up from the moment it was installed.

As you say- nice useability...but the quality really is not flash.

Alright.

The fix for the disappearing digits on the navman 3100 instruments looks pretty straight forward. And apparently lasts OK.

There's heaps of these instruments out there. Why doesn't someone take this on as a little earner? Thinking about a teenager with an interest in fixing stuff.

Charging between $30 and $50 a pop there'd be a good profit in it and it would be way cheaper than replacing instruments.

Alright.

The fix for the disappearing digits on the navman 3100 instruments looks pretty straight forward. And apparently lasts OK.

There's heaps of these instruments out there. Why doesn't someone take this on as a little earner? Thinking about a teenager with an interest in fixing stuff.

Charging between $30 and $50 a pop there'd be a good profit in it and it would be way cheaper than replacing instruments.

Good idea. Or if Marshy or Ferrari fancy earning a few Rupees with their wisdom then when I get back to NZ I'm sure I'll find multiple new failures across my Navman displays so if they can get them up and running again then there's some beer money for you!

Yip done my whole set and even a spare display and the fix is a minter, Now just to fix the other problems with Navman gear... Depthsounder not getting a reading from transducer. Replaced transducer and still no go... Doh!

AC Im easily bribable with Rum and good food :-P

Yep, mine are still working sweet as. in typical fashion the last one of mine is still on the to do list but its only a repeat so less important. AC, it sounds like Marshy has you covered for the right price :D .

Let us know if I can be of any assistance.

I've just completed my Wind 3100. Looks dandy except I couldn't find any way to keep the plastic light guide, so I doubt the backlighting will work effectively.

A couple of tips that aren't clear from the video -

-to get a good contact ayou need to scrap all of the dark grey or black material off the glass of the screen connector and off the copper of the circuit board connector.

-you can hot glue the screen in place at the upper corners once you have the connector lined up (gluing with one hand while holding with the other), but make sure you have the screen down far enough that you can re-fit the bezel.

-if you get a conductive rubber strip that is too wide (I found a $16 screen, but the strips are about 7mm wide), it won;t work well until you slice it so that it only projects 1-2mm from the back of the screen.

I've just completed my Wind 3100. Looks dandy except I couldn't find any way to keep the plastic light guide, so I doubt the backlighting will work effectively.

I kept all parts for mine and the backlighting still works :?

I used acetone to clean both the screen connector and the circuitboard so there was no scraping. Acetone does bad things to plastics so I kept it well clear.

I tried the hot glue but I wasn't overly impressed with it, in the end I didn't bother. Rather I used a foam door sealing strip trimmed down to size between the perspex and the screen. When the lid was screwed back on, the compression held everything in place.

-if you get a conductive rubber strip that is too wide (I found a $16 screen, but the strips are about 7mm wide), it won;t work well until you slice it so that it only projects 1-2mm from the back of the screen.

I found the same but took the opposite approach. I filed out the clear screen stand plastic to fit the conductive rubber strip. This had the benefit of lining up the strip on a better vertical plane, but still not perfect. I also had to trim the white piece of cardboard to fit.

guys I have a navman M84 GPRS and it too gave truoble with the ribbon connector socket going faulty.. so I sent it to navman/northstar USA repair dept and 6 weeks and $180 US later it returned and lasted only a few months and back to same old same ...so I took it in desperation to Ocean electronics here in CHCH and they jumpered out and fixed the ribbon connector for good - lesson dont go anywhere near any part of Navman or northstar but if you have like me already been stitched up then try Robin at ocean electronics he may be able to extend the life of your lemon.

Yip done my whole set and even a spare display and the fix is a minter, Now just to fix the other problems with Navman gear... Depthsounder not getting a reading from transducer. Replaced transducer and still no go... Doh!

AC Im easily bribable with Rum and good food :-P

Hi Marshy

I know this was a while ago but if I can dig out my old 3100 multi display do you fancy trying that repair job on it for me? I'll happily pay a proper amount to get it working again, whether rum or cash!

Cheers

Rob

Archived