disposal of batteries?

smitty

Does anyone know of somewhere I can drop old batteries off so that they are disposed of correctly? I've got a car battery, large one from a dolpin torch & loads of normal size. Thanks.

any garage? that sells batteries will also take them off your hands gladly

30 years ago a dead battery used to be worth $5 for the all the lead sludge sitting in the bottom

Still worth $5, but I have had $15 for a big Batt. It's not the Sludge in the bottom, that is Sulphate. The Frames for the Plates are made from Lead. Although many batteries are now having the Lead Diluted with Calcium to make it go further. The industry likes to play on the fact by calling them Calcium Calcium batteries. But in reality, Calcium has nothing to do with the battery itself.

While we are talking batteries,

I need to replace my house battery. My electrical needs on board are pretty light, chartplotter, wind gear, stereo etc, no fridges or anything requiring lots of power.

Obviously a deep cycle is needed but what amp hr/brand/stockist would you guys recommend.

Cheers

You need to work it out on a calculator. You look at the current draw of each item and then multiply that over a 24hr period. So then use that figure as the 50% mark for battery size. So lets say it adds up 100Ahr, you thus need a 200Ahr battery.

what size is the current battery and how long has it lasted?

if it's 86AH and has lasted 5-7?, (normal life for a battery)

it's probably already the right size for the loads + use

On Tilt - With an SR the bigger the house battery the better really! As you have no real easy way of charging it - The outboard does it but pretty slowly.

On Mercenary when i owned her we had an 80 Ahr battery that stayed in all the time, and was used while racing, and general cruising. And that would last pretty well - You could go 4 or so days on that with the Stereo draw, Instruments and with LED lights etc.

Then we had a 130 or might have been 150Ahr battery we stuck in for Christmas cruising etc. Tagged with a solar panel it lasted us 10 days at the bay 2 years ago. But on the 88 now we can hose a 120Ahr battery in a day - because we know we can charge it we use it more for charging phones, playing stereo more, and other things!

what size is the current battery and how long has it lasted?

if it's 86AH and has lasted 5-7?, (normal life for a battery)

it's probably already the right size for the loads + use

I new someone would ask me that question.....don't know?? I put a multi meter on it after a charge up, only got 4.6 volts I'll check it out tomorrow. I've had the boat for a year and before me it was on piles with no onboard charging system.

Cheers Marshy!

That's what I was after, so anything 80ahr or above sounds the go. For the cruising side of things I'll take two battery's I think, as you said not too many charging options on an SR.

Did you ever hook up an alternator to your outboard?

Yeah Mercenary has the 15hp Mercury outboard, which is actually a rebranded Tohatsu 18hp - Hence it wins motoring races! Love that motor!!

It had a charging circuit added after i bought the boat, Pumps in about 2 amps if your lucky lol. So we figured it kept up with the lights.

The best thing i bought was a 40watt solar panel. when cruising it sat ontop of the cabin top or on the boom tent. And during the day kept up with the stereo usage. After that holiday at the bay we came back with the 120ahr about 75% full and the 80ahr almost full still so it was a gem - Although we were pretty efficient on power that year and it was sunny as ever unlike this christmas!

dropped a dead 75ah deep-cycle battery in to the battery clinic today and got $10 for it

they advertise 2nd hand batteries and had these odd sized 12v 93AH? telecom deep-cycle batteries for $175 560mm long, 230mm high, 126mm wide

http://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/telecom%20batteries/

apparently telecom (cell phone stations?) use them as backup batteries and if they are even called into action once they are changed over to new batteries

their main business seems to be rebuilding hybrid - prius car batteries

The Telecom Batts get changed out yearly. Not when they are called into operation. So yes they are a very good buy and a very good battery. They are capable of years more life and well worth the money.

Telecom batteries do not get changed annually. It is usually every 10 - 12 years, regardless of how many times they get cycled due to mains power breaks and testing. They are then changed because testing shows that they are degrading and therefore unreliable for their intended use.

Sometimes "good" batteries are disposed of when new batteries banks are required due to increased battery capacity requirements.

I was told they have been changed out on cell sites down here on yearly bases by the guy that did it, whom I know very well and another friend set his home up with alternate power using them for his banks.

But OK, I do stand to be corrected on the yearly part. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Archived