Woman single handed- coastal classic 2015 boat needed

SeaEagleii

Built by Roger Knightly in Whangarei around the mid 70's I think. I know someone who knows someone so could find out more if interested.

I would be keen to chat to the someone of the knowing someone - out of interest :)

Built by Roger Knightly in Whangarei around the mid 70's I think. I know someone who knows someone so could find out more if interested.

I would be keen to chat to the someone of the knowing someone - out of interest :)

I thought George Knightly built and owned her.

Surely if you can get a Cat 3 Certificate for the Proa the multihull association would accept the proa with excitement, no?

We are lucky that sailing clubs accept us multis with open arms here in NZ, It would be ironic if we multis wouldn't accept the proas because of fear of being beaten..

I approached the MHYC a few years ago while looking into a larger racing proa with Rob. They wouldn't accept the entry. In fact I could only find one YC / race in NZ that would accept a proa (New Plymouth and the SH Trans Tasman - ups to them for having an open mind).

What was the reason given? I have a dim memory of some sort of tacking issue.

I thought George Knightly built and owned her.

Oops George built Moonshine. :oops:

I approached the MHYC a few years ago while looking into a larger racing proa with Rob. They wouldn't accept the entry. In fact I could only find one YC / race in NZ that would accept a proa (New Plymouth and the SH Trans Tasman - ups to them for having an open mind).

Pity I tossed the email out not that long ago. But it was along the lines of IYRU says no, NZYF belongs to IYRU and we belong to NZYF, so no.

Pity I tossed the email out not that long ago. But it was along the lines of IYRU says no, NZYF belongs to IYRU and we belong to NZYF, so no.

Ah .. I see, so you couldn't get Cat 3.

No problem getting Cat 3, they just said no we will not accept your entry. I'm sure Rob can come up with numerous similar stories.

But back to the OP. If Rob can get 4 of these in a box, find 3 others who will join the fun then have your own "race" . Start off Devonport wharf at 10.30, finish off Russell and run a sweepstake, first in gets a bottle of rum.

Well honestly if I can find the time between full time work, mum of 2 and being a wife .. I'll look for $$$ and give it a crack-

Otherwise we will probably just buy a tracker and I'll bash and drag myself there single handed anyhow :)

Don't give up yet, we need to talk to Rob Denney to see if he can get us 4 proas before next coastal classic.

We could then find 3 other people to hire them to single hand them.

and make sure the proas are able to compete.

Actionaire was built and owned initially by the Knightly's, I think was third behind Titus Canby (which won) at the 1/2 tonne worlds here in Auckland. Good to see her still out there and sailing. Actionaire went to Napier and then Wellington where it was raced for a number of years before I bought it and raced for several years before moving it to Auckland. Sailed it for another 4 years before selling. Incidentially Titus is still in Wellington.

It sails above it size compared with similar sized boats, I used to keep up with other 30 footers of similar age. Easy to sail in light and heavy air, good on autohelm when required if that's of interest to you.

Looking at the Trademe photo's it's had another repaint since I sold her. If interested in the boat I can advise more details but have not seen the boat for a while so don't know about the state of the sails etc.

Don't give up yet, we need to talk to Rob Denney to see if he can get us 4 proas before next coastal classic.

We could then find 3 other people to hire them to single hand them.

and make sure the proas are able to compete.

Let's talk.

A couple of weeks ago, I was not sure I could have one boat ready by this time next year. The response to the video has been such that 4 is now a distinct possibility.

The problem, as always, is cash. 4 boats is going to cost $240,000, which I don't have. There is no doubt that a sponsored entry for 4 single handed women in the Coastal Classic would move things along rapidly in the search for investors. If you can't find 3 more single handed Kiwi women sailors, let me know as there 2 Aussie ladies who would be very keen.

Obviously, any other sponsor arrangements would be equally suitable.

Costs: Freight on a single boat is apparently about $3,500 each way (need to confirm this, there are always lots of little add ons). It is about the same for 4 boats. The charter fee would only apply for days on which you sailed, say 6 in total, so $3,000 per boat. The 4 boat package would be about $20 grand, not 40. The one boat package, about $10k.

An alternative would be for you or me to sail it there and/or back. No charter fee would apply for this.

There is also the possibility that the boat(s) would be shipped from Auckland to France or elsewhere, so no charge for you.

In the event that no sponsor is forthcoming, you are welcome to visit the Gold Coast for a ride and if there are any Aus races you want to compete in (Airlie Beach Race Week is a blast), you could charter my boat.

Anything I can do to help with the sponsor package, or any questions on the boat, let me know.

I was not directly involved in the non acceptance of a proa for the RNI race, so can't help with the details. The NZMYC is a very broadminded organisation. I am sure they could be convinced to let you race, even if it was unofficially.

rob

Archived