More hp 12 to 15

vic008

Seem worth it? Bore of 75mm take out to 80mm (by 80mm) make her square. This would take her up to her big sister of 800cc. And give 15hp vs 12hp. Rebore, new rings, pistons, would be all?

With a Diesel, Hp does not automatically come from Bore size. In fact increasing bore size will decrease Hp because you still have the same amount of Fuel now going into a larger space. So you need to increase the Fuel delivery. But you can not simply increase the Fuel without increasing the Air. So you need to find out if the Fuel demand can be met and the air demand, which is slightly easier to increase. But you may need to look at "porting" you Air intake path. That means using a die grinder to slightly increase the intake manifold port and ensuring there are no is between mismatched mating parts, which is quite common.

Fuel demand would most likely not be an issue from Tank to engine pump. But it will be a problem from the Injector pump to injectors. The Fuel delivery of the IP needs to be increased and there needs to be enough delivery available to meet the demand when engine is at full RPM. I am not sure if your particular engine is easy to do that to. Some IP's it's as simple of turning a screw. But I have a feeling your IP is done differently. (Pwederel or someone more familiar with that engine than I, can you confirm that??)

This might be a little off your target but I am thinking along these lines to boost the output of a 3 cylinder Kubota.

Seems the critical considerations for this install are a reliable oil feed and return to the turbo rotor and the ability to increase fuel flow from the injector pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oX9xqDSCTchttp:

With a little effort and $700.00 cost one could gain between 5 to 10 hp from a 21 hp diesel .

Here is another cheaper option.

seems getting the details of your injector pump to a diesel mechanic, so he can tell you if it could deliver the extra fuel, would need to be 1 of your first steps

some ballpark figures - to serviced a removed 2cyl 16hp vetus/mitsubishi injector pump - $300

to replace it $2900+gst

With a little effort and $700.00 cost one could gain between 5 to 10 hp from a 21 hp diesel .

Once again, providing your Pump can be adjusted to increase the Fuel delivery to the injector, then adding a turbo( correctly specified) to a NA engine can boost the Power by about 50%. However, more power always comes at a cost. You will need to get rid of the increased exhaust flow and that means bigger exhaust. Turbo's hate exhaust back pressure. You will have more heat produced in the engine, so the Raw water pump and heat exchanger may need upsizing and maybe oil cooling will need to be added. The Turbo body will get stinking hot,( unless you have a water jacketed unit) and thus the Engine room will be hotter. Then there is increase in fuel consumption and of course, the engine itself will have a shorter overall life span.

What make/model engine?
The engine on board is a Perkins Perama M30.

Must be going blind, can't see that anywhere.

Anyway, not familiar with that engien so not sure if the pump would have a fueling adjustment.

Wheels,

the heat issue could well be addressed by introducing a cheap as chips intercooler.

Marine turbo Yanmars do not have a significantly decreased engine lives and do not have cooled units.

The small IHI turbo is only going to generate 10 or less psi of boost so the exhaust capacity issue is nil.

Maybe the real weakness would be installing in a sleeved cylinder diesel.

Have a look at the ever growing number of small capacity diesel engines in cars that run very efficiently and very reliably with low pressure boost turbos.

Look it may be not every persons cup of tea but still a neat little project in my view.

Must be going blind, can't see that anywhere.
It's written in Invisible Ink. On my screen anyway :wink:

Actually he mentioned it in a post in the Fuel Filter thread. I just copied it across here. So no, the heat ain't getting to you.

Firstly, I was being a little more general than specific. I should have made that clearer. Many years ago, I used to specify and sell Turbo's.

the heat issue could well be addressed by introducing a cheap as chips intercooler.

An intercooler? how is that going to cool the engine? Or do you mean a heat exchanger?

Marine turbo Yanmars do not have a significantly decreased engine lives and do not have cooled units.
Depends on what you mean by significantly. It also depends on whether the engine was designed to be Turbo'd by the Manufacturer, or a Turbo fitted as an after thought just to raise Hp. Yanmar Turbo'd Engines happens to be an engine designed by the manufacturer to be turbo'd. Many others, like Volvo for instance, are engines that were simply beefed up in power to get performance. That performance comes at a big cost with far less engine Hrs.
The small IHI turbo is only going to generate 10 or less psi of boost so the exhaust capacity issue is nil.
That depends totally on the exhaust installed. Diesels do not like back pressure full stop. 1 to 1.5PSI of back pressure is all they can handle. To have even 10PSI of boost, that is a substantial volume of air that now has to be pushed out the exhaust. Remember that not only do you have Exhaust, but you also have water being blown into the exhaust.
Maybe the real weakness would be installing in a sleeved cylinder diesel.

Shouldn't make any difference. Many of the Turbo'd Fords have Steel sleeves and no issues. Or at least, none due to the Turbo.

Have a look at the ever growing number of small capacity diesel engines in cars that run very efficiently and very reliably with low pressure boost turbos.

Yes but as i said, designed to be turbo'd right off the drawing Board. Big difference. But you will also note, that on many of those Turbo'd engines, they have much bigger cooling systems and certainly much bigger exhaust systems than the same NA Diesels or the Petrol Versions.

Now here is something many don't realize. Power comes at a cost in several ways. You can not get free energy and many think adding a Turbo is free energy. But it takes effort to drive the turbo to push that volume of air and that effort can be large. Think of how many watts it takes to work the Vacuum cleaner. So adding a Turbo may give the engine more output, but actually the power output has increased far more than what you get at the shaft. A significant amount of power is being used to drive the Turbo and they both equate to a significant amount of heat generated that now needs to be got rid of. Also bear in mind that just like the Engines the manufacturer designs to be NZ or Turbo'd on that Drawing board, similar can be said about an install. If you have a turbo'd engine to fit into an engine room/Box, then you usually take into account the heat that is going to be generated.

Nah, actually a little twin Shibaura

As far as I recall the Shibaua doesn't have a fuel delivery adjustment, a very simple injector pump. I would hazard an educated guess and say to boost your power in the way you describe isn't going to be the path to travel. Firstly, you will be still limited to set engine revs so a prop repitch would be needed on top of all the other work. Probably be more cost effective to repower with an engine that delivers your current horsepower at the same revs but is rated to higher revs (ie, spin the prop faster to go faster)

I am completely off the actual thread subject now, but if anyone is interested. One other thing I forgot to say re the Cars, they often have smaller Exhausts than they really need. This is to actually create heat and slow the exhaust getting out of the engine, to aid in reducing Carbon particulates. One of the easiest ways of increasing Hp in Diesel Vehicles and it does so quite dramatically, is to fit a much larger diameter Exhaust. However, it may not be the thing to do these days re emission control laws.

Archived