Rescue

The Coastguard in the states are a little different to ours. The USA is a government department covering enforcement, search and rescue and legislation. In NZ the enforcement and legislation is undertaken by Maritime New Zealand and the Harbourmaster, and the Search and Rescue by Police and the Rescue Coordination Centre. Coastguard do help these organistations and do good job of towing in those who breakdown etc.

Auckland and Wellington are the only areas where Police will be on the water in their own vessels during a Search and Rescue.

Most other areas of NZ the coastguard will be it, probably with the fishing fleet if there still is one.

There are big chunks of our coastline that have no coastguard cover either, so RCC has to use who ever is in the area.

The Coastguard in the states are a little different to ours. The USA is a government department covering enforcement, search and rescue and legislation. In NZ the enforcement and legislation is undertaken by Maritime New Zealand and the Harbourmaster, and the Search and Rescue by Police and the Rescue Coordination Centre. Coastguard do help these organistations and do good job of towing in those who breakdown etc.

That's an interesting perspective. The coastguard "do help"

As others point out the police only have a boat on the water in 2 locations, Auckland and Wellington. So legislation gives them the responsibility for search & rescue but over 98% of nz's coastline they would have to swim out to help you on your boat? So without govt. Funding the coastguard has to pick up the slack for virtually the whole coastline of nz. Including any jobs in Auckalnd & Wellington that aren't exciting enough to get the maritime police unit out of the office!

I'm afraid you are incorrect in your statement that "legislation gives them responsibility" for search and rescue. Within the 12' limit Police are the responsible body, outside that it is RCCNZ. The exception to this is in the case of an air crash which is always RCCNZ.

CG are funded from government via the Auckland Funding Amendment Act which funds about 11 organisations directly from your rates (for the Auckland region). The Police and RCCNZ also pay any cost incurred on a rescue. I doubt that covers all the costs of running the organisation.

My initial comments are correct and it is interesting to read the differing perspectives of others. The CG do help in rescues as do many other ships, yachts, aircraft, organistions and individuals. But the CG here are not like the CG shown in the video, which was my original comment.

"CG are funded from government via the Auckland Funding Amendment Act which funds about 11 organisations directly from your rates (for the Auckland region)"

Might be pedantic but to clarify - yes funds are received through this source and while welcome, this relatively recent development only covers a relatively small proportion of costs. CG is still VERY dependant on it's members, sponsors and community funding organisations.

In the UK the RNLI had to get an exemption/dispensation to a legislative requirement. The requirement was a "cap" on the amount of funds a charity could hold. The RNLI is, I believe, the only charity to have such an exemption. This was based on the reserves required should a vessel or vessels be destroyed or damaged. The loss of vessel coverage of the coast provided was not deemed accaptable with a or several vesels out of service.

Or...

If you pay in your rates you also pay GST, and with rates and income tax you will have to pay for the bureaucratic involvement. But

If you pay a donation to a charity then you can ofset that against you income tax thus the chariy gets more and you pay less.

More concerned about the strings that would be attached.

Horror scenario #1

Some one in a kayak is run down by a drunk fizzboater, turns out to be Hone Harawira's niece, Hone screams for better enforcement of laws for boats, Police say we don't have the resources, Hone says "but the gov't funds the CG, make them police the laws"

See where it goes?

I'm afraid you are incorrect in your statement that "legislation gives them responsibility" for search and rescue. Within the 12' limit Police are the responsible body, outside that it is RCCNZ. The exception to this is in the case of an air crash which is always RCCNZ.

CG are funded from government via the Auckland Funding Amendment Act which funds about 11 organisations directly from your rates (for the Auckland region). The Police and RCCNZ also pay any cost incurred on a rescue. I doubt that covers all the costs of running the organisation.

My initial comments are correct and it is interesting to read the differing perspectives of others. The CG do help in rescues as do many other ships, yachts, aircraft, organistions and individuals. But the CG here are not like the CG shown in the video, which was my original comment.

Elenya I never stated or implied that you weren't correct.

However as you so rightly say the police are responsible for search & rescue out to 12 miles, around the whole New Zealand coastline.

By any standards this is a pretty big chunk of water.

They do this with a boat in Wellington & a boat in Auckland?

What I was getting at is that Coastguard & other groups and individuals do more than just"help out a bit & do a few tows"

Effectively they provide the rescue resource for everywhere that the Police don't have a boat. Which is pretty much everywhere in New Zealand.

"CG are funded from government via the Auckland Funding Amendment Act which funds about 11 organisations directly from your rates (for the Auckland region)"

Might be pedantic but to clarify - yes funds are received through this source and while welcome, this relatively recent development only covers a relatively small proportion of costs. CG is still VERY dependant on it's members, sponsors and community funding organisations.

Who is funding the large amount of new rather flash CG boats around the country?

Archived