osmosis repairs with duratec vinyl esters?

erice

Did you know that a report by Professor Tim Bingham published on April 1/2007 clearly shows that osmosis on boats has increased by 36% over ten years between 1995 and 2005.

The report indicates that this is due to climate change and an increase in seawater temperature.

The professor suggested returning to traditional boat building techniques including the use of wood and of course brass fittings.

His predictions are that by 2035 most glass boats will be reduced to jelly and beyond repair. :roll:

The professor suggested returning to traditional boat building techniques including the use of wood and of course brass fittings.

His predictions are that by 2035 most glass boats will be reduced to jelly and beyond repair. :roll:

He recommended brass fittings so he must be right. Afterall, brass doesn't rust and is so much cheaper than bronze :wtf: :wtf:

first off

- thanks for all replies

- never expected to get full agreement on a controversial topic, sorry it's gone a bit pear-shaped,

- great to hear i could probably have used the norsk boatbuilding epoxy in the garage

- having a wide range of views helps me settle on a plan that i can implement and 'own'

that plan is now in action and 60% complete so the boat can be back in the water in 6 days

(for some reason the pic #3 has jumped to the bottom of the page)

as she came from the water after 5? years without antifoul

bearded lady.jpg

after removing the bigger lifeforms

blisters.jpg

after scrubbing, popping + filleting edges

basically at this stage there is extensive blistering with 4 kinds of blisters. all containing the yellowish liquid mix of salt water and broken down polyester resin

type 1- shallow lifted gelcoat blisters with white base - about 50% of blisters, not even fully through the gelcoat

2 - fully lifted gelcoat blisters with blue base, - about 45% of blisters, gelcoat has fully lifted exposing the blue woven glass that the swedes laid inside the gelcoat in 1910. sometimes matt looks white where resin has been dissolved out

3 - as above but the resin behind the exposed matt has also been weakened to the point where cleaning out the blister removes the fibres

4 - deep, bad blisters. late yesterday after a day of filling and fairing 90% of the blisters, went back to further checkout 2, hard surfaced, palm sized distortions on the rear of the lead filled keel.

had thought they were perhaps swelling of the glass sheath when the lead went in... but by really digging at them deeply, eventually got a squirt of corruption... have only just started to grind them out but they are well past the blue woven matt and 5mm? into white chopped strand

blisters types 1, 2 +3 seem to me to be completely cosmetic and are, or will be, filled with the VE resin and wests 202 colloidal silica

the 2 deep, chopped strand blisters will be filled out into good matt and then filled back to surface with, probably just the 1 needed, patch of thick chopped matt

then the hull will be faired, keyed and 3-5 layers of epoxy interprotect paint rolled on

then a coat of some hardish, dark blue, left-over, antifoul will go on the high wear areas

before 2 coats of black or red awlcraft?

evidence of earlier blister repairs seems present, perhaps the last 5? years without good bottom paint has caused so many blisters this time but after 45years this gelcoat seems basically stuffed.

this 'treatment' will not stop further blistering. expecting to be seeing new blisters every time the boat is hauled. not expecting those blisters to structurally weaken the hull if they are dealt with correctly every few? years

were the 2 deep blisters higher on the hull i would be more concerned but according to the drawings they are not a very important structural area

gif elev2a.jpg

blue white.JPG

Any updates on the beast Beau?

I saw it yesterday and it's looking really good, very fast, very very fast.

Hey Pumbaa, compared to your boat, an H28 is fast.

But as far as an up-date on the 770, She has got the first coat of highbuild paint on now and is being turned over again this week to allow some finishing work on the inside.

I will try to get some pictures posted for all to see.

Must say progress has been a bit slow lately due to some surgery happening to the builder but hopefully I will be back on track soon. :thumbup:

currently 99% of blisters ground out and filled, (less than perfectly fair) and today 3 coats of interprotect epoxy paint went over the top

tomorrow the waterline and bow will get a coat of blue micron medium antifoul and then the whole hull will get 2 coats of standard black ablative antifoul

rudder's off getting similar treatment

while off, prop has been brushed back to bronze, 3 coats etch primer and 1 coat of hard ultra antifoul. tomorrow another coat for the prop and from then on some kind of lanolin/zinc? concoction applied while in the water

the large, thick blisters along the keel are still leaking a little pus through their drill holes, so they will be left until the weekend for the; fill, fair, epoxy paint, antifoul process

should be able to meet the relaunch booking on tuesday :D

next winter, or the winter after (no point battling the busy summer bookings on the hard) the boat will be hauled again to reassess + re-antifoul

first coat.jpg

Agreed TT, but I really cannot see how the deeper blisters are dry enough to fill this quickly, even if a solvent wash is used. I hope they are not all back, and worse, next time!

the 10? deeper blisters are a conundrum

all but 2 were dry enough today so got filled this afternoon, after the hard, blue, micron extra anti-foul got rolled on

the last 2 blisters drill holes still get wet if the thick blister skin is pushed in and out...

tomorrow will drill another hole through each blister skin + tape up a pump, from an inflatable, to try and dry out the inner-blister by hand pumping a lot of air through

then black standard ablative anti-foul will go over the hard blue and 3 coats of interprotect over the 8 blisters sealed today

bottom blue.jpg

when the hull was all white with the interprotect, a few minor blisters that were missed showed up, so am resigned to having to do at least some next haul anyway

if the bottom ones are really bad by then, may investigate peeling the keel...

someone missed their launch date yesterday, and if no one cancels, they will have to wait until Jan12th...so i don't want to miss my slot next week

Agreed TT, but I really cannot see how the deeper blisters are dry enough to fill this quickly, even if a solvent wash is used. I hope they are not all back, and worse, next time!

I guess that deeper grinding will get toward fibers with good resin infusion still. But yes, that thought had crossed my mind. But what would I know? :D

Archived