Purchasing offshore

Yep IT, over priced - but I like her.

Meantime, in order not to buy a bigger ship, I'm trying to make my 29 footer larger with an enclosed canvas cockpit that I can sleep in over summer - WITHOUT making it ugly.

Not that easy!

Agree IT above example looks tidy however always though it would be a hassle having a U.S. Boat with 110 v - people say just use an inverter but if / when anything needs replacing a slight hassle.

IT and 1paulg, you do realise that the price on that boat is USD?, isnt it? hence thats NZD$227,000 (incl GST) for a 23 year old Beneteau and that hardly seems like a good deal at all. Admittedly its had some upgrades, but upgrading that is a bit like polishing a turd isnt it

IT and 1paulg, you do realise that the price on that boat is USD?, isnt it? hence thats NZD$227,000 (incl GST) for a 23 year old Beneteau and that hardly seems like a good deal at all. Admittedly its had some upgrades, but upgrading that is a bit like polishing a turd isnt it

The exchange rate has changed, making this boat certainly not as good as it was. Months back it was about $143,000 NZD, asking, now closer to $180K NZD and you are right, likely too high for a NZ purchaser. I don't know where you get the $227,000 from? USD rate is now around 0.67 - was close to 0.90! so all the imports are currently considerably more expensive!!

The exchange rate has changed, making this boat certainly not as good as it was. Months back it was about $143,000 NZD, asking, now closer to $180K NZD and you are right, likely too high for a NZ purchaser. I don't know where you get the $227,000 from? USD rate is now around 0.67 - was close to 0.90! so all the imports are currently considerably more expensive!!

The exchange rate is a moving feast at the moment, US$129k is now around $NZ$200k, add in GST @ 15% and tada, NZ$227k. 

I went to reorder some product offshore last week and got a hell of a fright. If I sold it back to my supplier two weeks later I might make some $$  ;-)

Yep 100% correct, I just checked todays rate 0.65!! That must really make selling new imports in NZ almost impossible! Sure makes those previous "bargains" offshore look not too flash now!

I was on a similar age Jeanneau 403 recently, he was about to haul to replace all his skinfittings and seacocks with NZ tru-design as the factory brass were poor quality, all had it and had almost sunk his boat! Still prefer a higher quality older NZ boat.