Did the price of a new boat just go up by $30,000?

Funny you should bring that up , I was looking into it today.

I found out these things

1) no one really had a clear idea of what was happening

2) it is expensive and that is unlikely to change, because of the way it is done it really hurts one off builders and people doing lower budget projects (strangely enough it will be insignificant for production average white boats, mostly from Europe where these wankers hang out).

3) It doesn't apply to multihulls. Most likely coz they haven't figured out how to write the specs yet - my advice get in the water ASAP as this will probably change.

4) Don't expect too much from YNZ, we are too insignificant to have any voice at all in Europe, and YNZ is not going to rock the boat too much anyway.

If someone were considering a one off monohull to race offshore then the price of your boat just went up by anything up to $25k, if you don't like it piss off and go play somewhere else.

Enough to make you go cruising instead.

The most informed peron I have come across is GAry Patten, I'm told Tim Clissold is also up to speed but didn't talk to him.

I'll have a look for that earlier thread.

David you can be very pessimistic sometimes.

I haven't looked into it since I wrote the article for Yachting Digest in January but i've pasted the link below.

The highest quote was 11,000euro but the others were much, much less than that.

As usual it's not half as bad as the media like to portray! :D

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/Newsletter ... D=300#ISAF

Zoe you really need to look at the whole picture and how it all impacts on the total cost. The ISAF ISO stamp is only part of the resulting increase. And in my view until you have done the exercise fully I feel you are being rather optimistic in your defence. Me I'm not pesimistic at all. I would rather see the full impact puplished rather than a fluffed up portion.

Actually that figure of 25k was given to me today by a world famous boat builder who had been investigating it for a potential customer. Yes it was the highest figure I came across, hence the wording I used - "up to" 25k

That's what I've been doing. And the result is an extra cost estimated between 10 and 25k (hard to get a straight answer without actually spending money first).

Now, if you have a budget of say $750k, that's annoying. If you have a budget of $100k that could be a deal breaker.

So the creeping increase in "fixed overheads" like the cost of Cat 1, or this new nonsense, or higher entry fees, or expensive rating rules...... all mean the fleet will diminish from the bottom up.

Still if you are a hard ass you could argue along the lines of "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen". But one day you might find you are the only one in the kitchen, everyone else is over at Woody Bay having a BBQ.

Still if you are a hard ass you could argue along the lines of "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen". But one day you might find you are the only one in the kitchen, everyone else is over at Woody Bay having a BBQ.

Priceless! :thumbup:

Archived