Did the price of a new boat just go up by $30,000?

Yes, for the purpose of this specific regulation 3.03 and Appendix M this

refers to construction of the yacht structure. If the construction of the yacht or

the first yacht of a series production started on or after the 1st June then ISAF

Offshore Special Regulation (OSR) 3.03 applies. If the construction started

before this date then ISAF OSR Appendix M applies.

Guess all you need is for someone to have started building prior to 1st June!!

All easily fixed.

Everyone just flick ISAF and it's deputies like YNZ to touch and sail under the NRBDSISOFSF instead. Strangely enough their rules are quite similar but written in plain engish and without all the dribble.

NRBDSISOFSF - Not Run by Brain Dead Self Interested Silly Old Farts Sailing Federation.

As a matter of interest, is there some law saying we have to abide by ISAF rules apart from the one that YNZ says we have too. Actually is there a law that says YNZ is the be all to be all?

Cavaliers Sailing Club anyone :) :)

Free entry to all races in Sth Africa :) :)

Jk, yes but doesn't it also say you must provide a statement of complyin with ABS

Im of the mind that in the case of the NZ mini we get it engineered to ISO 12215 ( not to hard ) and then let the bureaucrats play amoungest ( to read with ) themselfs until its sorted.

I have had acknowledgement from class mini of our questions as to there stance on the ISAF ruling - now we wait there answer

From the mini Rules for this years transat

APPLICATION OF THE RULES

These rules are applicable from January 1st of the year, to all the Mini boats. The Administration Council of Classe Mini has full and exclusive authority to modify and interpret the rules. The official measurer is responsible for the application of the rules and can insist on a demonstration if necessary.

The French version of Mini Rules for 2009 shall prevail.

The ongoing ISAF rules (ERS and OSR categories 1 to 5) apply.

These rules are changed as follow:

- 3.02.2, 3.02.3: "daggerboard (and keel) boxes" does not apply, is replaced with the obligation of having a resistant cover perfectly waterproof in all points.

- 3.08.1: is replaced with the article J-8-c-3 of the Guide Mini.

- 3.08.3: "companionway" does not apply, is replaced with the application of, at least, the standard ISO 11812, article 8.2.2, table 5, category of conception B, “semi-fixed coaming” and article 8.2.4., the companionway hatch being the “mobil part”. For the application, see article J-8-c.

- 4.01.2: "Sail letters and numbers" changed, see article J-18 of the Guide Mini.

- 4.26.4.f: does not apply.

- 3.14.3.g: may not apply to the pulpit and first stanchion starting from the front if necessary.

- Annexe K: does not apply.ategory C.

yes Knot me, But isn't all of this to make our boats sellable in europe and thus holding some value

Yes but dumb sh*t like this annoys me no end.

Free entry to all races in Sth Africa :) :)

Is that some kind of Freudian slip?

Reference was to the rebel Cavaliers Tour of Sth Africa back in 19 something. The one where they told the International Rugby Board to stick it up their jacksie and did their own thing.

I see that yachting nz are meeting on this subject this week.

It will be very interesting to here there out come.

God only help us that they haven't gone back to ISAF with questions, as we may well be waiting another month for an answer

all YNZ needs to do is enter into a secret agreement with ISAF and our boats won't have to meet the rules. After all that's what a certain cup holder has done.

BTW does anyone know what you need to do to enter into a secret agreement with ISAF?!?

Hi all,

This development from ISAF has been as surprising and concerning to YNZ as much as to everyone else here. A lot of discussion has gone on and a meeting was held this week between key people in the industry to discuss the best way ahead.

It does only affect boats that are racing offshore, and those that make major modifications after the date the rule was introduced, so most of us won't be affected at all.

I'm going to be finding out more and reporting on it for you, but I'm away next week for a very much needed holiday up north.

So please watch this space.

Zoe

The meeting was held last Wednesday, but I've been on holiday this week, still technically am until Monday. I'm writing it up next week and it'll be in the first issue of Yachting Digest and on here soon.

Zoe

Is there any chance we will have there ruling before our purposed mini meeting on Wednesday night - It would be nice to be able to finally move forward with this.

Mate save your $30k.

Put an alinghi sticker near the bow, that entitles you to completely disregard all rules.

You don't even have to worry about port Starboard anymore either.

I don't think there will be a 'ruling' as such straight away, and I don't know if I can complete the interviews etc that I need to do before then. Right now I know very little about it. If you have something specific you need to know about before Wednesday, you're best to contact YNZ direct and speak with Andrew Clouston is probably the best person.

I'd like to be able to help more, but my job is just to write Yachting Digest, that's my sole involvement, and right now I'm on holiday!

Someone asked me this morning

1) has a NZ office been appointed to do this yet/

2) has anybody built/commisioned a boat (NZ'er) or had a mod donwe that would require certification?

a) No

B) I did have to suss a possible change to an existing and clarify a possible replacement. Luckily the existing is an old enough shitter so I don't have any need to work thru the process they said but I could elect to do so voluntarily. And the possible new I could swing thru missing it as it's series date is 3 months before the chop off date. 'They' being in Europe, Germanischer Lloyds to be precise.

At the moment you can go to -

Germanischer Lloyd, Germany

Rina, Itlay

DNV, Netherlands

RYA, England

or 3 maybe 4 others, don't quote me on that though. It's knot many whatever the number. The 'Others' weren't names I've heard of before.

All are in Europe. No one outside of Europe as yet, knot even the US strangely.

I used GL as we deal with them thru work from time to time. Also they do know the game well so I felt I could trust them rather than going to some random.

I got the feeling there is still some 'work in progress' with the rule/s.

That was all a month - 5 weeks ago there abouts. Things may have changed but I doubt it, they just don't give me the impression it's a quick moving outfit this ISAF.

how do i find the original article from last year on this site Dave?

any news on this Certification?

do I understand it correctly that it doesnt effect me as I started my new boat before june 2009 and its a sistership of a boat launched pror to june 2009?

Archived