Did the price of a new boat just go up by $30,000?

I find i quite ironic, ISAF sprung this on YNZ without any consultation, the net result making racing more expensive this is what YNZ do to the rest of us all the time. No wonder people just give up and go cruising.

My understanding is the ISO certification only applies to cat 2 and above.

Mind you Squid, think on this, you are one of those who has been publicly condemning offshore yachting for structural failures, keel failures notably.

Now, whilst I wouldn't imply you have the undivided and complete attention of ISAF, the ISO certification is a direct result of just that sort of public pressure, there is an argument it's your fault this happened.

For cat 1 certification and cruising, it is unclear as yet whether the ISO certification will apply, my understanding is the powers that be can waive the requirement.

IMHO opinion responsibility should lie with the skipper of the boat to be sure it is up to the job at hand though, but that's another story.

What's interesting here is that a predominantly European body that just happens to run our sport, has come up with a solution?? ideally suited to Europe and complete nonsense in NZ.

It was interesting talking to Des that over the four? years he has been in that seat he has come around to the view that we have to wage a constant battle to stop the shiny arse brigade from ruining sailing. His stock just went up a couple of points in my book.

Roughly 20k to hav an engineer write a book on how your boat is built, then 10k to have someone in Europe read the book and give you a rubber stamp.

Chuck in design fees and probably some other stuff I don't know about and suddenly you could spend 40-50k before you buy a litre of resin or rent a shed.

With regard to how this impacts the proposed Mini 650s... that is quite a lot more than what FNG was talking about. Does this mean we should be looking at buying plans which have already been ISO certfied to keep the cost down?

Just can't answer that yet, still investigating and waiting for answers.

The only thing i can offer at the moment is that the more boats we can build the better as that is a one off cost that can be spread over the numbe rof boats. One offs will be hit hardest.

So if I'm a production boat builder, (say, currently in the poo in the E.U.) I'm suddenly a lot more competitive. Why do we have Turkey's like this telling us what to do, we just want to go sailing get rid of 95% of them and we can save some cash as well as have less interference.

With regard to how this impacts the proposed Mini 650s... that is quite a lot more than what FNG was talking about. Does this mean we should be looking at buying plans which have already been ISO certfied to keep the cost down?

I think it only applies to production boats hence the 'Series Minis', knot the Protos.

Nope, every boat started after 1 June.

At 30K they can eat my arse.

Luckily I started my boat last month, I have a pile of deck gear and did some glass work on a prod, so I'm sweet :) :)

For any new deisgn there appears to be 3 stages

Also note the should you wish to modify your hull, change your keel or rudder and race to cat 2 ,1 or 0 you will have to go through the same process for the given area.

1 - engineering to ISO 12215

2 - getting the plans aproved by an ISAF body

3 - the unclear bit and unknown cost getting the ISAF cert from ISAF after there nominated body has aproved the plans.

For the mini plans we so far have a best price of $19k for stage 1 and 2 and this has no allowance for the architecture work.

So now we wait while yachting NZ try and get the rest of the information and possible costings from ISAF.

I have been given a contact to try at the class mini to try and get there take on this ruling

Sorry Knot me the way it reads is launch date

I have a Mini which has been wet already. Isn't amazing what a difference in looks a new paint scheme can do???? :lol: :lol:

Sorry Knot me the way it reads is launch date

Nope, an 'interpretation' (on June 11) to a question asked says construction started, if I read it right.

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/ ... 379%5D.pdf

Either way, this has to be one of the biggest killers of innovation and people just giving it a go I think I've ever seen. This ISAF bunch of dudes must be completely f**king brain-dead. It will be interesting to see if YNZ are equally so.

Archived