Spencer 28, rudder has play - where to get gudeon?

Hi,

I have a spencer28, the rudder has a lot of play, bangs about.  The bottom gudeon has quite some wobble in it.  Where would I get a replacement? or do people put a bush in there? or drill for a bigger bolt?

I'm in auckland, anyone know where to get a replacement gudeon?

Thanks, attached a picture..

IMG_20151007_103421.jpg

Had a similar issue in the H28.

From the photo it appears that the gudgeon is bronze and the pintle is stainless steel. If this is so then almost certainly the wear is in the gudgeon. Is there is sufficient 'meat' in the gudgeon then take it off the rudder, drill it out and get a bush machined out of a bearing plastic - making sure its one of the non absorption plastics. You shouldn't need to replace the pintle.

This is what I did on my boat and it is still perfect years later. The advantage of a bush is that they are cheap so get a couple made. If the problem should re-occur in the future then its an easy fix to slip in your spare bush.

There's a place in onehunga. Henderson rd for memory. They can cut you a bush. You'll need a vernier to get an accurate measurement. I'm off to kawau tomorrow so won't have the details until I get back.... can you wait?

Just did this job on the 930. took old bushes to Distributor for Xlube (details are on here in search somewhere). They measured them at the counter, didn't have them in stock so couriered them to me a t no extra cost the next day...brilliant service. Bought 3 extra sets all up 18 bucks

Had a similar issue in the H28.

From the photo it appears that the gudgeon is bronze and the pintle is stainless steel. If this is so then almost certainly the wear is in the gudgeon. Is there is sufficient 'meat' in the gudgeon then take it off the rudder, drill it out and get a bush machined out of a bearing plastic - making sure its one of the non absorption plastics. You shouldn't need to replace the pintle.

This is what I did on my boat and it is still perfect years later. The advantage of a bush is that they are cheap so get a couple made. If the problem should re-occur in the future then its an easy fix to slip in your spare bush.

Seems like the way to go, doesn't seem like I'd be able to find a new pintle.  Have to wait until it's out of the water and get a couple of bushes made then.

Thanks for the help.