Next Step Alternator Regulator

Help! Since maintaining inboard Bukh  to prevent minor oil leak (ie replace seal and gasket etc) the battery doesn't appear to be charging and the 'Next Step Alternator Regulator' is now showing a continuous red light (rather than a flashing red light, or better still a green light like it used to show)  Observed even when engine is off.  Is this when we call in a marine electrician?  Or can someone advise what the problem is?  Thanks!

In the manual it will tell you what that means. Manual is available online. Should not be hard to fix. Sorry I'm out sailing, and cell service here is poor. Back in a week if you have not sorted it by then...

Yes we have a multimetre, but don't think any wires were changed about during engine seal replacement.

Yes, have manual which advises various faults based on flashing red light 'patterns', but no clues for a fixed/continuous red light...

The V2/v3 manual I found showed solid red error indicated the float rate is set higher that absorbtion rate. There were two test points and a reference ground that you can use a multimeter to check. I'd guess either a faulty unit or maybe a dirty adjustable pot. If the latter you maybe able to clear it with a couple of turns on the pot. The voltage should change on the respective test point. Make sure you set it back to manufacturers specifications.

Sorry I'm operating from my phone out on the boat otherwise I'd include the URL references and pictures.

Steve

Aha, we had old manual that doesn't advise error like the new one - 'float setpoint higher than absorption'.  However, interestingly on reading, Float = 1.325 volts and Absorption = 1.44 volts, ie float is lower than absorption and both readings seem to be out by 10 fold!  Doesn't seem to make sense? 

Note: Starter battery reading = 13.74 (and 13.89 a second reading) and House battery 14.32 volts.  We do have solar batteries too.

We have a copy of Nigel Calder's book too.  ;-)

Yay, just read in manual that the voltmeter regulator readings are one tenth of the desired battery charge. So that sounds all fine. Just still a puzzle why red light when it seems our floating volt reading is less than absorption volt reading.

There are several generations of next step reg. Make sure you have the correct manual for your model. For a start, what colour is the regulator?

And the red error led is normally on at start-up, but should go out after the self check is complete.

Check all Wiring connections, especially Earths. Bad earths can always cause weird behavior with electrics. Sure, the unit may be faulty, but if you have done work somewhere and then the fault shows up, there is always a greater chance a connection has been bumped somewhere. It is best to consider the obvious before going with hunting.

Rechecked wiring and it looks tidy, although there is a wire from alternator labelled 'ground' that doesn't connect to anything and I couldn't see any loose wires it could connect with. And my husband who replaced engine seal etc is sure he didn't touch the wires. Before engine work he observed that the Alternator Regulator light was green.

We have covered up the solar panels for now to see if things go back to normal. (Else it may be a sparkie who will have to sort it out.)

Pretty sure we have correct manual.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Some good news this arvo. Things appear to be behaving! We have the green lights back. We powered down the regulator (by disconnecting the wire to pin 1), and then re connected. When we started the engine the regulator red light came on for a short time, and then the green lights kicked in.

This probably allowed the logic circuits to reset themselves. Bit like when a modem or computer is giving problems you can turn off and then reset.

However, perhaps the additional solar energy has been confusing things so will keep an eye on it. (After blocking panels for a few hours the house battery = 13.50 volts, starter = 13.27.)

Note: before powering down we started engine to see if blocking solar panels alone would rectify problem, but there was no change.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

No they aren't quite that smart. So, no reset should not have done anything, but then hey, if it works, it works.
But the earth on the Alt is of concern. Is the Alt a genuine Marine unit? Marine ALTs are normally isolated bodies. So you need to have a negative connection. That negative should be connected at the same negative terminal the Battery is connected to the engine at.