Health and Safety in the Marina

It should be part of the T&C's of the agreement you sign. Ive found some ask and some just assume.

Unfortunately H&S is a prickly subject for some and in a few cases now it's clear it's gone to far but it's still a recent memory for some when big buildings were known by how many they killed than by anything else.

As always there is a balance that has to be achieved. It is possible tho, Just have to look to the refinery in Northland with no major accidents at all despite massive expansion during operation. 2 million man hours and counting since the last serious injury as well and 12 months without an injury causing lost time, Compared to overseas it's very safe yet profitable

We are in Half Moon Bay marina now for a few days.

On the bottom of the casual berth renters form I filled out was the question 'Do you have insurance.'

I ticked the 'yes' box and that was all there was to it.

There is a chain of action tho. The boat you burn to the ground even without insurance may start a civil suit against the marina if there was negligence on the marina's part. If the burned boat has insurance then they will push the marina to accept responsibility and as such the marina's insurance company will come after you.

Over simplified i know but if you burn a boat your insurance will be paying out :P

Are you sure about this?

I cant recall ever being asked about my insurance cover when I've pulled into a marina for a night or two.

Yes absolutely. You MUST have insurance. For them not to ask is their silly mistake.

You also need and Electrical WOF if you want to connect to shore power.

As AC says, another insurance company can come after you. All that needs to happen is for your boat to catch fire and set some adjacent vessels on fire as well and have damage to the Dock. That very thing has happened several times in recent years. The neighbouring vessels owner has his own insurance and that Insurance company will pay out to the owner. Then that Insurance company comes knocking on the door of your insurance company wanting compensation. If you do not have insurance, then the door they knock on is your own and they can knock with a very big fist I am told.

What i was slightly taken aback with, was that the very first question asked of me by the Marina supervisor was, are you insured? I said yes, hoping like heck we still were. Then he said, I need to see your documentation showing Who with and Policy Number. Huh? that was a first and who the heck carries Insurance documentation onboard. I said we would have to try and find the information via online. Then after a few minutes of general chatting, I realised he was actually waiting for us to do that right then and there. So may wife looked up the Bank details for payments to the Insurance company, and was able to get the Companies name and Policy number. Because it is a broker, we just pay them and we didn't actually know who in fact even insured us. I had this real fear of, well if we can't provide it, does that mean he tells us we have to leave? We just came in for shelter from a storm. It was a scary thought that we could perhaps be kicked back out into it again.

And why wouldn't they come after you? If you do some welding without a hot permit on your boat and ignite the guy next to you the guy next to you is either going to go after you directly or the marina depending on the exact wording of the marina rules. Either way they will come for you

Actually it seems atleast at west haven you would be directly responsible

See term 11.1

"the Customer agrees to compensate, recompense, pay, indemnify and

hold indemnified the Manager against loss or damage to the Berth or the Marina or any of the

facilities forming part of the Marina or any vessels moored or remaining therein or to any other

person or property caused or resulting from the acts or omissions of the Customer or its servants,

agents, contractors, employees, invitees or licensees"

You also dismiss any right of recourse against the marina for damage to your things

Yeah legal BS is complex to read, simply because there have been hundreds of years of weasley lawyers. You and I might have Black and White and happily agree that my black and your white is clearly different. But hundreds of years of these weasles  that have argued to a judge, "but we believe it is snow white and as such is not pure White and my client is not liable because the correct shade of white was net determined. And all the while, we normal folk think, but it's white, I should be entitled. 
I have a friend that has just been diagnosed with cancer. He is Self employed and has Health Insurance. Hi policy was up for renewal in Nov last year. He noticed something early December and went to the Doc and the Doc said we better do just yesterday went to CHCH for further scans and tests to see what is where etc. His insurance company have said that they don't have to pay out because he did not disclose to that he had an illness which is obviously pre existing to his policy renewal on the 2nd Nov. The dirty scum is all I can say. So now the poor guy not only has to fight a battle for his health which as many of us know is exhausting, but he now has to fight his insurance company as well.