Significant Issue off Whakatane

White Island Tour boat on fire, police report 30 to 40 people on board, stuff.co.nz report 56 people on board.

Fire well involved based on the photo in the Herald article.

Mayday issued at 3:45 pm

live webcame available (which is crazy in itself).

Really hope it doesn't end badly.

http://www.coastguardwhakatane.co.nz/whakatane-harbour-cam

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11575754

The part they never find out is what caused the initial ignition. Diesel in liquid form is very hard to get going. It has to be vaporised to spontaneously combust and even then has a fairly high flash point. But one common problem in the past re commercial timber boats, is a condition that has name but I can't remember what it is called. It is more commonly found in the boats with dry exhausts. What happens is that a small patch of wood is exposed to years of high heat. But not high enough to set it alight. Something happens to the wood over a long period of time due to that constant heat. Apparently there have also been reports where the wood can almost burn, but not quite. How do I explain it? It is almost like it is smouldering, but there are no glowing ember and no smoke to tell any tale. Then one day it just ignites and away it goes very very quickly.
I got this story from the Late Len Gilbert by the way.