Handicaps... Monos vs Multis

I don't think so, not fairly. Definitely not if you take your racing seriously.

For club level racing, it may be possible to get reasonable alignment on handicaps based solely on performance, but any minor changes in either conditions or skill of the multihull and their speed can increase in far greater proportion to the corresponding increase in skill from a mono hull.

We do it at Sandspit with adequate results, over both windward leewards and longer, around the island racing. I can't give the task away! A good system simply rewards the most improved boat in a season or series. If you are consistent, relative to the fleet average, you come mid fleet. 

No point in taking club mixed racing too seriously. 

I use a system which increases the winners handicap, and reduces the last boat, and proportionally changes the boats in between. Tim B developed it for the Multihull Yacht club years ago. 

Like for any handicap system a windy, fast race favours the fast boats, and a drifter favours the slow boats. 

But it takes years to let the system average out performance handicaps...

handicap sailing

14' dinghy vs 17' 2-person cat sailed solo

mark foy start so as per the handicap ratings the cat starts 10 min late on a 30? min course

if the wind is above average, and the cat stay flat

can catch dinghy in the run to the line

Is it possible to handicap mixed fleets?

Regatta over the weekend had one Corsair Sprint 750 sailing within a fleet of various trailer sailers. The trimaran was given a handicap lower than the Magic 25!

Where was this?

Across the ditch in the West Island... Sussex Inlet, NSW

We were told 15-20knts, screaming reaches, three on the wire all weekend

The brochure lied!

LOL. Thanks. I Couldn't think of any Sprints in NZ.........

if you were mixing monos and multis, then sports boats are probably the best to do it with but the performance variation based on weather will be much more with most multi designs than with monos.

Multi, handicapped to an average, would still end up either first or last depending on weather and wind angle.