Anchor light

Guest 000

Came into Oneroa quite late last night.

We saw a yacht on our starboard side displaying what appeared to be a port light at her masthead, so, being the give way vessel we gave way and went under her stern. But no, she was at anchor and had an all around red at her masthead - no other lights. A quick review of the anchorage revealed what I supposed to be anchor lights in red, green, orange, and purple seems to be quite popular.

What gives??

Lots of gringo boats sailing at night run with anchor lights on, but it's generally out in open water where it's obvious (we hope) that no one is anchored. 

Usually, the anchor light is the first indication one gets that a boat is nearby. 

Never, ever heard of a fine for having a white masthead light on underway. 

Red all around? Never saw that one. Does seem confusing - moving or not. 

Come on, Kiwi racers, you run with that white bad boy on at night too, don't ya? 

on a dark night only having a white masthead light on anchored boats can be quite confusing when you are coming in to an anchorage, The masthead light is good to be seen at a distance but up close it is better protection to have another light at eyelevel , that lights up the deck or mast/sails, even if it is low  powered /dim.

Chrisc is right that it gives an insurance company an out.
One would assume that if an incorrect or no light at all, ended up being the cause of a vessel entering an anchorage hitting the anchored vessel, would the entering vessel also be at fault?
I have seen this use of other colours at anchor as well. It is a pain in the A. 

came in to north harbour at night a few years ago now,twit on a launch put his spotlight on and kept it on blinding me,no problem aimed for the light and ran in to his stern and said "Thanks @#$% for blinding me" no more conversation after that.