Dinghy Hoist

We all know that there’s seemingly no limit to the modifications and improvements people will make to their boats. And sometimes they can be quite surprising. And I’m often left wondering why didn’t I think of that?

Tied up at the Picton visitors wharf a few weeks ago a family pulls up across the jetty from my boat in a little launch. When I looked up I thought what is that by the dinghy on the cabin top? When I looked closer I realised it was a Hiab crane. It’s purpose: to lift the dinghy on and off the boat.

Now I know even small hiabs aren’t cheap, nor is installation simple. Turned out too that in order to counter balance the weight when in use, they’d had to rearrange water and fuel tanks etc to the opposite side of the cabin.

And for those technically interested the model chosen was a Hiab 008T-1 crane (0.8 tonne metre) with a max. outreach of 3.8m weighing in at 125kg.

hiab dinghy lift.jpg

The above is real, I kid 

I hate to think what that weight up there did to that boat's AVS.  I would not do it...

My post is what I really saw, I kid you not. And yes, the possibility of sinking was likely increased, especially I think if it rained and the dinghy on the coach roof gathered some water. It is only a small launch, maybe 20-22 footer. 

Is it just me or does that seem like a hell of an outboard for a Dinghy that size? Water Skiing maybe?

But yes the ingenuity (even a little Misguided) of some people never fails to amaze!

Maybe they use it for barging supplies into a remote house in the Sounds? i.e. Lifting bulk supplies onto a wharf in the middle of no-where?

Seems a bit over the top for just a dinghy, especially the reach and weight capacity.

Did they say what design it was? Any more pics (more interested in the boat than the crane)?

Nope, and I never even thought to ask. It was just a little launch and they were into diving. The guy told me that the previous owner had fitted the hiab himself.