Wish my bottom was this good after 12 months

I think it is likely worse than the pic shows BP.
You would think they would have scuppered it when abandoned and then I would have thought they would use it as target practice by the Navy or Airforce when spotted by the Cruise Ship.
Also goes to strengthen the advice of, always step up to your liferaft. Does anyone remember the story behind this as to why the crew abandoned it?

^

"It was a New Zealand naval vessel that was delivering supplies to one of the islands that came across it, and advised them that given there was another cyclone on its way, that really his best option would be to abandon the vessel."

django was 11m and with a saildrive

but it was abandoned in 2014, not 2015, and 250km from nz, not 1000km when the rudder fell off

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/media-releases-2014/20140708a.asp

j_111_drawing.jpg

later edit

but django wasn't blue...

18777186195797106509.jpg

It's not often that I have to strongly disagree with you guys, but here it is.  I have been through the experience of abandoning a yacht mid-Tasman.  Dismasted and very bad weather on the way (not forecasted and came as a "surprise" to Bob McDavitt).  The real fear was being rolled and injured - we had one crewmember that was not really mobile to start with.  Speaking to the Aussie marine rescue centre, they told us that a container ship had been diverted and we were to abandon the boat.

Now, for all you guys who feel like you have an opinion on this, picture yourself in about 4 meter seas alongside a container ship with a Jacobs ladder hanging off.  We were able to motor alongside and one by one, make a timed grab for the ladder and climb like f*ck so the boat didn't catch you on the next wave.  I was last off, I had to time my run from the wheel to the side of the boat, coinciding with the top of the wave.  Not fun or a lightly taken decision, not a weekend sailor caught out by lack of experience or stupidity.  You make the decision to abandon a boat because it is the best option at that time.  When it is your life on the line and you feel responsible for the lives of others, it isn't a "another beer or should I change to wine" choice.   Yes, in a perfect world we would have sunk the yacht, but practically speaking, it wasn't worth the risk.

For anyone who holds an opinion about rights or wrongs in these situations, if you haven't been through it, do me a favour and keep your opinion to yourself.

• Upvote 1

Dtwo, Totally understand, it can be crap out there.

Once upon a time you would have had to make the boat get you home, or that's it. But then you would likely not have known about the approaching weather either... You made a sensible call most likely, without knowing all the details of your situation. But you were fortunate to have an option.

I'd be interested in the thought processes behind the call to abandon, likely we can all learn something here.

The boat had no hull damage - and was watertight/seaworthy but no rig?  How about Jury rig options or was the call made mostly due to the forecasted weather? What storm gear was available (drogue, parachute etc etc). Was there much of the rig remaining?

There have been many yachts over time abandoned for every reason you can think of, and probably some we've not, from sea sickness to total structural failure...

Every situation is a learning opportunity!

Just a footnote if you call rescue services, they will almost certainly provide you with an option, and, in the event are likely to tell you to get off. It is very expensive diverting ships/planes etc. Don't call them unless you have to, and have made the decision to abandon if possible before you call. That is for offshore or mayday situations of course! Getting off a yacht to a ship in heavy seas is not a safe thing to do.

It is really easy to sit here an look at a situation description online, in the comfort of my chair, and say I'd do something different. Being there is something else entirely, so please do not take anything I say as a criticism, I'd like to understand and learn from your experience.

Matt

For anyone who holds an opinion about rights or wrongs in these situations, if you haven't been through it, do me a favour and keep your opinion to yourself.

I want to make it very clear I was not judging anyone for abandoning their vessel. I know exactly what it is like to be in a situation where you wished you could just get off. My comment was coming from the fact that sometimes the situation seems so bad, that it is hard to believe a vessel can survive. And then you come across a situation like the one above and the yacht has survived on it's own out there in everything that can be thrown at it, just fine. And that is the reason why the idea of ditching should always be the very last resort, because as you would now know Dtwo, leaving your vessel and trying to board a ship or Liferaft for that matter, in bad weather is dangerous. And some have been killed trying. So hence the Seafarers rule of thumb saying, always step up to your liferaft. It should always be a last thing you ever have to chose. But that is not saying you should never chose abandoning the vessel, even if it is simply because you are exhausted, sick and scared out of your wits.

Yes, in a perfect world we would have sunk the yacht, but practically speaking, it wasn't worth the risk.

And that is also fair enough. But I see no reason why the ship could not of hit it and sent it to the bottom. It likely wouldn't have taken much and I doubt the ship would have noticed a thing.

Any idea what happened to the boat Dtwo?

Pretty much what was pictured above - took about 5 months.  Then all the armchair admirals got stuck in and criticised the crew for getting off...  I thought I would keep quiet otherwise every second word would have been f**k, in between c**t.  

I will put some thoughts down when I get some time, I am happy to pass on what I learned from the experience.