Young 11.. the good.. the bad

Hi, I have a mate looking to buy a Young 11 and i'll be helping him do the survey so thought I'd ask some questions.

1.  He wants to take it offshore single handed, i have suggested installation of a prodder to add handling sails easier than a pole.  Thoughts, anyone done this on a Young 11?  

2. What are the pros and cons with these boats?

3.  Given the age of the boat what areas should we concentrate on when surveying?

4. How fast is the Young 11?  Are they good to windward?  

He already owns a Pogo 30 in Europe so this is his NZ yacht and he wants to use it to cruise up to Fiji and so on when he's here on holiday.  Given he has a Pogo 30 how do these boats compare performance wise?  

What other options could I recommend in the market right now?  Budget is around 120k NZ.  

Pogo 30 vs Y11, best guess is the original configuration Y11 would be similar performance, 11s with upgraded keel and mh kites should be a bit quicker to quite a bit quicker for the likes of Fineline.

Fineline has gone to Whangarei now. In general a Y11 needs weight on the rail to go upwind well...short-handed it's a case of reefing early and chopping down to a small headsail and living with it. With 8-10 crew it's a whole different story. The Y11 that did the last solo Tasman went OK but they also had pretty mild conditions for a Tasman crossing.

Off the wind they're just awesome and way more fun with a gennaker. We've had runs where we didn't drop below 12kts for 30mins at a time and surfing up to 16-17kts. We have also had a few mega surfs over 20kts on big waves with 35kts up the bum. So yes they go downwind well!

if you look on the list of Cat one surveyors for Wellington, Kim McMoran, is a boat builder and built his own Y11, probably worth talking too.....

There was a Y11 called Rochelle many years ago, not sure what happened to her, but I did a season with them. The boat wasn't even built down below and only had a couple of bulkhads installed.

From that experience I can assure you that they like being very light, although we needed a lot of weight on the rail upwind, it was a rocketship.

Sailed it shorthanded a few times and a small blade up front worked fine. Still pulled good numbers in a moderate breeze. A modern keel would make them even better.

Boyd Smith had 1 at the same time, I think called Forever Young? He modified it somewhat with intention of doing the Melbourne Osaka race. I can't remember the outcome, but I'm sure someone knows the story.

Nice thanks for the replies.  Out of interest what young 11's are on the market at the moment?  I know one in Nelson which has 109k on it but given the price Fineline went for this seems high thoughts?  Are there any others for sale?

I owned Fineline back in the early 1990s ($65k we paid I think ..). She was "standard" in those days , went really well with the Blade / #3 when two handed. A good alround performer , and was a heap of fun ( we were early 20s, no kids etc ), light and fast. I thoroughly recommend a Y11 , hope your search is successful. I have been onboard one in NELSON only 2 years ago, and I believe it had been across the Tasman , was in very good order.

• Downvote 1