Marine purchases in the US

looking for a survey of ideas or the best value for money thing you could buy compared to NZ during a trip to the states that "maxes out" the tax exemption.

clearly with a view to it being on a 32' open deck cruising cat so space is a premium!

I think it is.

There are still quite a few Rena lookalikes out there that need keeping an eye on, almost all NZ's coastal shipping (excluding oil and cement) is done by foreign flag vessels. They sail where we do, whether it is down to Tauranga, Gisborne, B.o.I. Cape Rienga, Dunedin etc. etc. They rely on their own AIS, radar alarm etc. to tell them who else is out there. Mainly only one watchkeeper looking out for you.

It is reasonably cheap way to keep out of their way,  Standard Horizon seem to have a good inovative manufacturing history.

Marine Deals is purported to be the NZ agents, but they don't appear to carry much stock, if any, and some that they have advertised is remanufactured.

There are good prices through Amazon, check the freight tho. NZ posts "you shop" works well if you get a seller who won't post / freight outside the US.

I did ask M.D. sometime ago if they could sharpen their pencil a little when they advertised one of the above, (around $1000.00NZD against about $600NZD via Amazon) they never came back to me.

I have held off getting one after hearing last year about the changes supposedly coming to the VHF frequencies and was waiting to see what the manufacturers were doing to accommodate the changes, but, the silence on whatever it is that's happening (or not) re the changes is deafening!

That vhf is RECEIVE ONLY Ais. See here http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&DivisionID=3&ProdCatID=83&ProdID=1769

So a ship won't see you. IMO, if you want Ais,buy a proper one - transceiver, not receiver.

Read the Std horizon site carefully, it says 2 Chanel receive Ais, nowhere I can see says Ais transponder.

I bought quite a few jammers and blocks a few years ago in the states, when our dollar was more than 80c. Real cheap. I have recently bought a couple of handheld vhfs much cheaper than here.

My reference to the ships looking for you was with them using No. 1 eyeball and their radar.

Yes the SH 2200matrix vhf / ais  receives only, you have the alarm set to whatever distance works for you.

Sure if you wish to have the Class A ais rather than the Class B which the SH is, it would it has to be the better option, comes down to dollars and horses for courses. One you have to monitor and can call the ship up on the VHF if you feel that is necessary, the other you are relying on them hearing the alarm and responding appropriately, if you aren't actively monitoring it..

Me, I just want to keep out of their way, and know that I am.

Steve, the difference between class A and B is not transmission. Class A transponders have more output power and several data fields that class B transponders don't have. Most sailing vessels would use class B transponders - class A is generally for ships and vessels that are compulsorily equipped.

Most people I know that have bought receivers soon regret it, and go on to but transponders.

Once you have AIS you wouldn't want to be without it.

We came through the Americas last year and online purchasing of larger electronic gear here has sorted out the way too high prices we were paying here, in fact most but not all marine electronics were easier and no more expensive for us to get people joining us to buy here and bring with them and defiantly if they could get them GST free for export.

But as stated above hardware, fittings and small electrical stuff like lights etc. this stuff is cheaper and sometimes a lot.