Freebie Stereo

I have only posted in Marine talk as I know it is well viewed. IT if you want to move it, no problem.

I have just taken this stereo out of the Marshall. It is a Sony Explode 4 x 52W. It all works except the tuner which doesn't seem to be able to find a channel. Might be a setting, I don't know. It comes complete with a 10 CD changer, all the cables and a manual. You can use the Aux input to run your iPod through it. It also has a removable fascia and single CD.

First to say they want it, gets it, just reply to this thread then PM me for pick up details. Must pick up from Mairangi Bay. 

FREE. FREE. FREE.

Cheers, Smithy.IMG_6103.JPGIMG_6102.JPGIMG_6104.JPG

I went with a Fusion RA 70. I am delighted with it. On special at Burnsco for $399. Easy install, Easy to operate.Bluetooth connected straight away and Pandoro straight to the speakers! Excellent. Got the optional Aux connector thingy and threw that in as well. One day I'll sort the wiring behind the panel..  :oops:  :oops:

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

Wow, KM, I am impressed.
I Highly recommend Class D amps for situations where you want the greatest efficiency in regards to power consumption. Very high efficiency, nothing lost to heat.
      KM, make sure you install a grunty Power feed to the Stereo. These amps are efficient, but if you want to blow some cobwebs out, they can also demand some solid Current for those Bass heavy parts. They only draw the current in direct relation to the output power. So a Kick Drum would require a good draw of current and then the in between quieter part is very little current draw. Where as a Class A/B is drawing current all the time.

KM, almost more important than Class D amplification is to get efficient speakers. Go find the most efficient speakers you can run to. Speakers rated at 84dB/w require 4 times the power to get the same volume as speakers rated at 90dB. And if you can get some 95dB plus speakers, a 2 or 3 watt amplifier will give you serious volume. PA speakers are often in the 99dB to 105dB range, hence such impressive volumes. 95dB is quite loud for music.

I am not too sure what is available in the car audio/marine audio world, but definitely check around.

Haha they must be getting that heaps atm. I need a good stereo, so just bought the 750ud for the boat and had a barrage of questions for fusions techo man. Hopefully I will be getting it up and running this weekend, and eventually I would love to hook up my old sub for when we are in summer cruise mode.

The 750UD seems like a pretty solid unit, although I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't do VHF receive like the previous model, however I will just dodgy up some leads to hook our VHF up to it. Its gonna be really handy having radio control from the cockpit for VHF volume during races.

Today was also my introduction to the raymarine rape fest. I still cant believe they charge retail $100+ for a 400mm ethernet cable with special plugs at each end to hook the fusion radio to our MFD. 

Fusion UD650 with docking bay that takes a large range of things, 2 USB ports, one something plug that looks 1970's like, bluetooth, wifi. Beacon Marine due to it being technical in nature and sharper priced than the box stores do. If Pandoro isn't a Cuban cigar or motorbike gang then I have no idea what that's about. If it is either of those then I have even less idea what that's about.

You will get there one of these days KM. Pandoro is great and it's free. Better playlists than any radio station. Sounds like a nice set up. Mine is pretty basic.. You are heading into Booboo territory!

KM, almost more important than Class D amplification is to get efficient speakers. Go find the most efficient speakers you can run to. Speakers rated at 84dB/w require 4 times the power to get the same volume as speakers rated at 90dB. And if you can get some 95dB plus speakers, a 2 or 3 watt amplifier will give you serious volume. PA speakers are often in the 99dB to 105dB range, hence such impressive volumes. 95dB is quite loud for music.

While you are on the right track and you do know what you are talking about TT, do remember that car audio tend to use 4ohm speaker impedance and Commercial/Home hifi tend to use 8ohm. So while the efficiency may increase, the load becomes half, so the sound output remains the same. Car audio speakers are 4ohm so they can "squeeze" as much sound power as they can out of a small amplifier. They also are designed to handle a lot more distortion without VC damage. Because of the Car's ambient noise, and the Speaker not being the most efficient, we don't tend to hear as much distortion as you would sitting in front of a sensitive lovely sounding Hifi speaker in your living room. 

Then to add, Car speakers have the specs they do because they are designed to work in not the best and varied sizes of "cabinets" as such and environments for that matter. Where as a commercial driver is designed to work in a specific box size.

But!!! yes a pair of Home Hifi bookshelf speakers do indeed some wonderful over a pair of cheap car audio box speakers or separate component speakers.

I understand impedance Wheels - I was still thinking that KM would look into marine or car audio gear so impedance would not be a major factor. Not all home audio gear is 8 ohm either - lots now is rated at 6 ohm, and lots still at 4 ohm, but thats often when the manufacturers have added an additional bass driver and not gone for 16 ohm VC's so they just parallel up a pair of 8's and adjust the L pad on the crossover.

But if KM wants some serious bass without overly much power demand, maybe looking at a JBL 2226 in a 4th order bandpass box might give him a bit of the jollies :D Done right they go deep, remain musical and will output serious SPL with as little as 50w feeding them. And you can find 2226's in 4 ohm if you look around.

But more realistically, there are bass drivers which are very very efficient if you look outside the car audio market. Eminence make some up around 100dB which are not overly expensive, and no doubt thats just the tip of the iceberg. High excursion car audio gear can be great, but often high excursion means lower efficiency.

A live sound company here in the Waikato used to do twin 2226 4th order bass bins - sounded brilliant when fed around 2Kw/bin from a good amplifier ( they used Lab's) and I helped them out a few times. These things would easily rival almost any twin 18" bin for SPL and slam, were about 2/3 the size and 1/2 the weight, and used a lot less power than the 18"s. I also remember one bin a new staff member got a bit wrong - and it sounded absolutely terrible. 

KM. Just be aware that some companies measure sensitivity at 2.83 volts - which is 1w at 8 ohm. With a 4 ohm driver thats 2 watts or 3dB better than your getting. Its just a way of making the numbers look bigger.

You have installed a traditional Italian sweet yeast bread in your radio?? According to the interweb that's what Pandoro is. It seems you mean Pandora. A suss shows that could be interesting to look closer at. How did you get the radio to play that?

If youre going down that path, sus out Spotify as well.

I dont listen to much else these days and its premium service is free if youre with Spark mobile

Have you lads sussed out Fusion link? If you have one of the supported models of chartplotter and Fusion head unit then you can control all of the stereo functions from the plotter. I figured out the Fusion head unit and the Raymarine plotter on my cruising bus will talk to each other I just have to run the cable to hook'em up. Kinda handy when the plotter is on one of the helm stations and the stereo is down below.

http://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/innovation/fusion-link

You have installed a traditional Italian sweet yeast bread in your radio?? According to the interweb that's what Pandoro is. It seems you mean Pandora. A suss shows that could be interesting to look closer at. How did you get the radio to play that?

I was just going to load a couple of USB's, I have one now that has around 80 hours of high qual mp3's on it so 2 or 3 sticks means a long time before you're repeating. I have the option of connected a hard drive as well. One TB drive and you have enough room for over 160,000 high bit rate mp3's, that's continuous nose for 24/7/382. I try to rip all at 320kb somethings.

Don't have the power to compete with Booboo........ one day when I grow up maybe. The system has been made expandable.

IT can you make Wheels and Too tall speak English please. They are getting very deep there.

All my speakers say they have impedance of/at/in/by 4 Ohms. If you think the 'of/at/in/by' may suggest I have no idea what that means you'd be 100% correct. 

Hahaha. Yeah Spotify is good too. Just bluetooth to your mobile phone and away you go.

I use Spotify premium and love it though do have a slight guilty concience about them not paying tax here in NZ. 

You can down load your playlists for when you are out of cell phone range / on a plane etc.  which is a real plus.

I do like some of the variations on Pandora though - ska radio out of Jamaica etc.

IT can you make Wheels and Too tall speak English please. They are getting very deep there.

All my speakers say they have impedance of/at/in/by 4 Ohms. If you think the 'of/at/in/by' may suggest I have no idea what that means you'd be 100% correct.

arrr, to be honest, it really doesn't matter too much. Ordinary car speakers will still go loud. I have got to stop being so darn nerdy, especially as I am getting older. If it makes a decent noise and you like the sound, who cares.

Of 4 ohms.

This is english... You speak kiwi. or something along those lines. I am no language eggspurt.

I do find stereo systems fascinating and have been resisting the urge to jump in on this discussion.

I will just mention that the reason car/marine speakers are 4 ohms is because of the voltage required to drive them, which is 1/2 of the voltage required for the same power output for an 8 ohm speaker. This is important because a good hunk of a car/marine amp is the DC-DC converter, which is cheaper and smaller when converting to lower voltages. Also as far as I'm aware, efficiency has nothing to do with impedance as efficiency is a measure of spl per watt @ 1m. A 91db 4 ohm speaker with a 4 watt marine amp will be as loud as a 91db 8 ohm speaker connected to a 4 watt home amp. 

Ill have to admit that reading this makes me want to go and spend stupid money on a kick ass stereo for the boat. I had an awesome car stereo once and I've never really gotten used to having an average stereo again :(