sobering story of falling off a boat at dusk

Yes very sobering. Lovely story though. Well worth reading it all.
This is the reason why if someone goes over, (and if you have a crew of course) you ensure one person remains focused on the person in the water at all times, never ever taking their eyes off that person and pointing their arm directly at that person. I couldn't find a large white Inflatable in ruff sea. Trying to find a person would be plain impossible. I think we all have this idea that if someone falls overboard, it will be calm. If when a Boat crew does Man overboard Drills, it is usually on a Calm day.

• Upvote 1

We have a policy of anyone up on deck in fading light, or after dark, must carry both a waterproof VHF and a waterproof torch, attached to their life jacket. No exceptions. I don't know if the VHF would assist immensely, being its microphone would no doubt be full of water and being only cm out of the water, but the torch should be able to assist considerably. 

But anyone who has had someone go overboard even in bright daylight, in rough seas, will know just how hard it can be to spot someone. By the time you have come into the wind to arrest your speed, you could have traveled a hundred meters or more quite easily, depending on your speed and inertia, as well as the conditions. 

The Auto MOB alarms which also log the location when they go off sound like a good idea, anyone used them?

We have a policy of anyone up on deck in fading light, or after dark, must carry both a waterproof VHF and a waterproof torch, attached to their life jacket. No exceptions.

Excellent policy!

I don't know if the VHF would assist immensely, being its microphone would no doubt be full of water and being only cm out of the water. 

It's been said before but this is why it's a shame NZ C/G doesn't support DSC w/GPS - one button press to send a distress call with location. PLBs are also an option.

Excellent policy!

It's been said before but this is why it's a shame NZ C/G doesn't support DSC w/GPS - one button press to send a distress call with location. PLBs are also an option.

There is actually a small PLB attached to the harness also, I had totally forgotten about that!. Its quite a small one but apparently works as long as its clipped somewhere not under water when your wanting it to work. I think its only got 24 hour transmission but that should be more than enough for someone in the water. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on if someone finds them in time. 

I had not seen those personal AIS devices before. Any idea of the cost before I go looking?

MarkMT, our reasoning behind the VHF is that it is more likely the person in the water will be able to see the masthead lights etc of the yacht and be able to direct the yacht back to their position as opposed to being able to contact other parties for assistance. Being that the yachts VHF antenna is about 18 meters higher than the vhf  inthe water, I hope that a good signal could be had for several hundred meters if not further. That being said, hand held VHF's are more useful for receiving than transmitting in my experience, and sometimes have a range that is remarkably short.

Any safety gear which could be utilized for a rapid rescue for someone overboard in any lighting conditions, which does not impede movement to the point it creates safety issues of its own, should be used really. I believe that not a single one of us on this board would sleep well ever again should we loose someone overboard and be unable to rescue them. And the lack of sleep would be the least of our worries.