wo....dodgy...floating tunnels

Hmmm, maybe that would work for Norway. There would have to be no tidal stream. The pressure placed upon it from Tidal Flow would be astronomical.
But it's a cool idea. I wonder though, if a tunnel in Rock would be easier and thus cheaper. That thing would be a major engineering feat to build.
I remember a guy from a Sub telling me that they were under the surface during a Hurricane raging above them. I can't remember the exact depth they were down, but he was American, so I assume he must had said ft and I am pretty sure he mentioned 600ft. I know it was far more than 60ft and I clearly remember that it was the depth that surprised me with his story. Because he said that many of them were suffering from Sea Sickness because even at the depth they were at, the Sub was being moved up and down by the Huge Seas raging far above them.

Nah - pretty straightforward really. Google "Norway Archimedes Bridge" and you'll see a video that illustrates why an underground tunnel is not feasible - the fiord is too deep.

The huge horizontal arc is the money shot!

It's not the basic design that is the issue. Easy enough in calm conditions with little or no current. But I'm with wheels - ANY current or water movement would put a hell of a lot of loading on the end anchor/fixing points. It's quite an engineering challenge...

those floating pods must also be the air flow risers to get rid of exhaust fumes etc

wouldn't want a drifting cruise liner to hole 1 of them and let the water in

I was reading some more info on this floating tunnel today. They have not actually got to the point of building it yet. Simply because they have not been able to answer all the design problems. Many being the questions we have asked in our posts, like Current, Waves and Wind.
So far, they have spent $25 Billion dollars :wtf: in trying to design something they don't yet have all the answers for.
The Tunnel won't be built to 2035.
Or so they say.

Driving thru it on a rough day could be a bit like this

seriously though, for a floating sub sea structure only way to go would be a tension anchoring system. Last thing you want is to be subject to the variable forces from the surface