AIS sart plb combo

the 3rd reworking of the wheel

mark 1 - 406mhz short range locating signal - no good because only 406mhz receivers on rescue boats and helicopters

mark 2 - dsc vhf propagation on channel 70 - no good as nz decided not to utilise the DSC system

mark 3 - AIS - hopefully a commercial vessel will be near and monitoring their AIS, unlike the rena, where they only sailed to their gps, ignoring their charts and radar returns of obstacle in their path

you missed one that has been out for years - AIS & DSC VHF in one.

http://www.mrtsos.com/products/personal-locator-beacons/smrt-v100

406mhz is the sat freq - have a read here http://www.mrtsos.com/plbs-explained/what-is-a-personal-locator-beacon-plb

AIS is not restricted to commercial vessels, Many ports operate ais receivers, not to mention about 80-90% of the coast is covered.

^

yes, my bad on the freq

121.5mhz (and/or 243?mhz) for the localised transmission, not 406mhz

can't be bothered googling outdated, non-supported technology

but the point is personalised AIS is 3?rd generation which has leapfrogged the other 2

and presumably AIS is likely to be leapfrogged again before it's universal

if the coastguard boats don't carry dsc vhf?

do the choppers carry AIS?

it seems nz sold dsc vhf uniden actually have the distress button cut? out of cct? thanks for that!

unlike foreign bought  dsc vhf where the button was connected, but no officials were listening!

how much junk are you expected to carry on your pfd?

and for how long?

edit: presumably personal AIS is an advance, if your boat has AIS 

but your 99.5% of boats are likely to already have vhf, so i"ll stick to a personal vhf on the pdf

it does weather reports too! and acts as a backup vhf, true!

and tested!

(but would they think to turn it on to channel 16 if i fell off?)

Basically the same as the McMurdo I posted a month or so back.

http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/regulatorydocuments/ais-mob-devices/281-mcmurdo-smartfind-s20

Given the cost of an AIS transceiver for your boat and that these doohickees are only a couple hundred a pop, you'd be mad not to have this if you're going to cross an ocean on a yacht with more than one person aboard.

From what I can see, the mcmurdo device listed is an Ais sart only. The one I listed is both a 406 PLB AND an AIS SART in the one unit.

This means it is a proper beacon for the rescue services, AND an Ais mob device so the boat you fell off, provided it has Ais, has an excellent chance of finding you.

IMO much better than a PLB.

Hey IT, I could also be keen.

Thinking about personal AIS as well as PLB's for RNI. Makes sense to put them into one unit.

The PLB part would need to be configured for NZ.

They mention a mounting system but it doesn't seem to load, and I can't find dimensions.

I wonder if its a tad bulky for putting into a PFD. Antenna looks fixed?

Would be interesting to know more. No doubt there will be others as well before long.

Here the main functions of SeaAngel SA14 SART-transmitter:

• sends to activate location information to all chart plotter and AIS systems
  • provides accurate GPS position with an update rate of every 60 seconds
  • provides quicker recovery of the injured person due to the more precise localization
  • easy mounting on the lifejacket
  • ID number (emergency number 97xxx ....)
  • flashlight
  • automatic / manual activation
  • no monthly follow-up costs
  • BSH and SOLAS certification process in progress
  • 96 hours broadcasting operations 

looks like stand alone kit from moving from boat to boat is possible to with usb- dongle ais?

gallery_1988_27_31936.jpg

From what I can see, the mcmurdo device listed is an Ais sart only. The one I listed is both a 406 PLB AND an AIS SART in the one unit.

This means it is a proper beacon for the rescue services, AND an Ais mob device so the boat you fell off, provided it has Ais, has an excellent chance of finding you.

IMO much better than a PLB.

Ah I see there are two versions. You wouldn't want two have two separate ones? With them combined you have to choice but to send AIS signal to your mates to pick you up AND a full on emergency... so you're picked up, let's say, in 15-25min, but by then the helo is on the way... Now you gotta call and cancel.

But the other one is that you might not be picked up, and then if you wait the 20min and decide that your mates just suck, you've already lost 20min of response time... Coastally, that scenario could matter.

But if you're in the ocean..?

Put it this way, If I fell over at 9pm on the way to Issy Bay, I'd have no concerns about pulling the pin on the AIS only one. But on the PLB, I might think twice...