LPG Solenoid and Switch

So i know about the BEP model - but what are other people using? Are there any decent alternatives.

Ideally looking for an LPG sensor and switch in one unit, but otherwise just the LPG Switch would do.

Fire away...

I bought a switch and solenoid (sorry, don't recall the brand but not BEP) from Challenge Boats in Mt Roskill some time ago and its given me years of good service, it doesn't contain a sensor though.

Probably the best and most used safety device on the boat and super convenient. Nothing beats the flick of a switch rather than clambering on deck in the rain on a dark night to turn the bottle off.

Whats the problem with the BEP?  The only issue I've seen on a friends boat is a tainted sensor needing replacement. Mine has been totally reliable for the last ooo, 5 or 8 years.

I agree with tuffy , one of the best damn things I ever did, the convenience means you become more likely to keep it off.

Nothing wrong with it - about to buy one, but just wanted to check if there was any different models.

We had a different one on the 88 and i wouldnt have a boat without one - using the bottle your likely to leave it on...

I think they're a good unit , I trust the brand.

I set mine off the other day after all my engine servicing actually ,some diesel from bleeding and a whole lot of simple green from the general engine cleanup. 

If you get one  keep the instructions , they tell you how to bypass the sniffer as a temp fix if you're out and have contaminated it by wetting etc.

BEP has one major + point. I don't know of any other that does this, so correct me if I am wrong. It switches the Solenoid on using 12V. Which is needed to shuttle the Valve open. But then once the shuttle is across, it does not need 12V, so it drops the voltage down to 9V to keep the valve open. This reduces power consumption dramatically and stops the Valve from becoming so Hot. Which is just wasting power. I noticed a huge saving in Amp hrs.

Errr, sorry, when I was reading about the sensor, and BEP etc, I thought we where talking about the detector/on/off control panel part. It's the detector/control panel that turns the Valve on and off that does the 12 to 9V thing, not the Valve itself.
I don't think BEP make the Reg/valve part.

I think that the BEP switch/controller is a great unit, with the reduced current draw. Drawing 12VA is not required to keep a solenoid of that size open, and 12VA is 1A give or take ( actually, at the 14V most batteries sit at its going to draw over 1amp... ). 

Still, don't forget to turn the gas off when you are off the vessel - solenoid valves, and controllers, can fail. An unlikely combination to have a failure in the remote valve system and to have a gas leak, but less likely combinations have occurred!.

Cool thanks team - BEP it is. :-)

Do you guys run the model with the sensor and the switch in the control panel? or just the switch? 

The yacht had a sniffer and switch in one panel... So think thats the way.

Only thing I'd suggest is a seperate switch and sniffer units

As been on a boat with a dodgy sniffer which then stopped the solenoid

We ended up having to re plumb to bypass it

Bit more expensive but in reality you want the sniffer to work like a smoke alarm, doesn't put the fire out but tells you that there's a problem

Only thing I'd suggest is a seperate switch and sniffer units

As been on a boat with a dodgy sniffer which then stopped the solenoid

We ended up having to re plumb to bypass it

Bit more expensive but in reality you want the sniffer to work like a smoke alarm, doesn't put the fire out but tells you that there's a problem

There is a 'bypass' for that Jon. Just keep the instruction sheet. However, I witnessed the same  so I carry a spare sniffer, and actually  have kept the old gas reg on board too in case the bottle side gave up..

The unit has a capacity for two sniffers, but I'm happy with the one, partly because of what you say and partly because I think one is enough where it is in the galley.

So  I still think just bite the bullet, get the integral switch and sniffer unit. Its great.

Thanks Team, i bit the bullet and stuck in teh BEP Unit with sensors and switch for solenoid. Happy with it - just gotta ignore the bill :-)

Yes found out the bypass bit so thats easy... And keep the old regulator on board too - have had the solenoid die before and it made for a cold night cooking dinner on the BBQ in the pouring rain!