Marina facilities and services

wheels

I was wondering if those around the country could let me know here in this Thread, just what each Marina provides in the way of services and facilities. I am asking for what the Marina supplies, not the Private Businesses based around the Marina.

The reason is that I am trying to gauge what is supplied in the charge. Just because a Berth maybe more expensive and Marina X, doesn't mean overall it is more expensive. For instance, one Marina in the Country has a similar charge to Marlborough, but they have their own Travel lift and hard stand area. So lifting your boat out cost $50. Some have their own Club room. Some have Toilets and showers as part of the Facility, some you have to pay for.

Squid, i kept this topic out of the other Marina size thread, because if we end up with a good comprehensive list compiled here, it could be a good topic to "sticky" for reference for cruisers. They can easily see what facilities are provided where in the country.

Yep, security is another good one as well. Our boat spent some time at Gulf Harbour and I was always impressed to see a guard hut staffed 24 hours with regular patrols. At "home" at Tutukaka, that level of security is probably unnecessary (touch wood) but in my view, the difference is not fully reflected in the pricing.

FWIW, at Tutukaka:

- coin-operated showers and laundry, accessible to berth holders with access cards

- filling your water tanks is still free - I know it cost them a lot to maintain that service through the drought last summer

- power (not enough outlets and charged separately if used for more than a quick couple of hours) on marinas

- rubbish bins

- fuel jetty on the usual commercial terms

- sewage pumpout when it is working

- not a lot else, to be honest. There is a basic boatyard (trolley/rails slipway) across the harbour but it is a completely separate business.

Rates for "casual" berthage at:

http://www.tutukaka.co.nz/tutukaka_gallery.html

$350 per month for a 12m berth which we are on (we fit quite happily on a 10m elsewhere but they are charged at the same rate as a 12m here).

I'm in Clyde Quay in Wellington.

There is no fuel, toilets, showers, haulout, security, floating berths.

You have to supply your own mooring gear and inspect it yourself.

There is a seawall to keep the waves out and a couple of taps for water and rubbish bins.

For extra money you can also rent sheds.

There is a wharf to come alongside.

You are not allowed to sleep on your vessel or in the sheds.

It only costs $1000/year for a 14 metre yacht though. :D

IF you are a member of RPNYC which is in the Quay, toilets etc are sorted.

That is the cheap end of the spectrum.

Yeah well, with no toilets or showers available to most at Clyde Quay as Slacko says, I can see why they would not be too keen on the liveaboards. :problem:

They are permitted at Tut for an extra fee and are quite a social bunch (on Mondays they gather on one boat for roast night) and also contribute to security by knowing who should and shouldn't be on board the various boats.

The Gulf Harbour facilities are pretty good with ample free parking for bertholders and guests, free electricity, free showers and toilets, free water (GH bore water tastes lovely), good security (then guards patrol up and down the marinas 24x7). You're allowed to sleep aboard 3 consecutive nights max before needing to ask for temporary liveaboard status - it's simply to manage the load on the shore-based facilities (toilets, showers, laundry) so they don't become overcrowded for the genuine long-term liveaboards or paying visitors. And on commercial terms you have a large, user-friendly fuel berth and large capacity travel lifts (110 tons), hardstand and all the usual boat building, rigging and servicing businesses on site. And a greasy spoon cafe of course. A 12m berth costs me about $400pm I think.

Bucklands Beach Yacht Club allow liveaboards, but you'll need to join the club to use the showers, toilets, etc. Also not sure what the deal is long term - I don't think they're massively keen on people living there for months on end.

Cost is $550 per month long term, $20 per day casual for the berths we've been on (10-12m ish).

$300 a year (ish) for the club membership

Power & water included, bins provided, cheap haulout in winter with the club facilities (not for the faint hearted), or HMB next door if you prefer the travelift to the tractor.

My advice would be to get or Pier 1 or 2 if you can, Pier 3 is right beside the ferry terminal and those Waiheke ferries rock on in at some speed! And the Fullers ferry aint much better. (Note to self, must write shitty letter to Sealink about waking me up at 5am every morning...)

Westpark Marina

The cost of buying a berth at Westpark is low. The difference between the OPEX fees and daily rental made it worth buying.

It has take less than two years to recoup the purchase cost inway of the differnece between renting and buying.

Notes:

- marina silts up - dredging is undertaken regularly now

- Lots of liveaboards - they provide good security and check on other boats when there is bad weather, I have found them to be a friendly bunch

- Takes awhile to get out to the Gulf

- There are a good number of businesses there to provide services.

- ferry service to downtown Auckland

Haulout / Vessel maintenance

•Haulout (up to 35T)

•Haulout (up to 75T)

•Extensive hardstand area

•Waterblasting

•Maintenance yard

•Short and longterm dry berthage

Security

•On site security

•Security camera surveillance

•Electronic access system to carpark and each pier

Sevices

•Potable water available at berth

•Permanent power connections by arrangement.

•Coin-op showers and laundry 24/7

As at August 2010

Op-ex GST Total

10m Recreational $3,300.00

12m Recreational $4,200.00

14m Recreational $5,600.00

16m Recreational $7,230.00

18m Recreational $9,140.00

Rental

Monthly (per day)(Long Term)

10.5m $ 14.75

12m $ 17.70

14m $ 20.65

16m $ 23.60

Seaveiw marina

Berth sizes 10m to 20m

- Access/draft averaging 2.2m at m.l.w.s

- Power 230 volts – 13 & 16 amps

- 268 floating berths

- 22 pole moorings

- 205 secure trailer parks

- Trailer Boat launching ramp

- Fresh water

- Sewage pump out facilities

- Diesel refueling facilities

- Oil and battery disposal facilities

- Boat yard storage for 35 vessels

- Workshop facility

- 50 tonne travel lift

- Ablution/laundry facilities

- Security Patrols at night

- 24 hour camera monitoring

- Lowry Bay Yacht Club on site

- Internet access at Office

- Fax and photocopying services at Office

- Mail Collection

10m berth $3,035

12m berth $3,755

14m berth $4,530

16m berth $5,050

18m berth $6,355

20m berth $7,625

Catamaran berth $5,000 - $6,500

Trailer park $1,200

Pole mooring (max boat size 10 tonne 12m) $1,200

Havelock Marina.

Commercial Marina owned and operated by Port Marlborough, Which is owned by the Marlborough District Council.

Entry is via a 7Nm channel that narrows to two boat widths and shallows to half a metre at very low tides. Marina supposedly dreged to 1.8m.

Made up of floating Wooden and new Concrete fingers. Eventually (3yrs maybe)the wooden fingers will be replaced with concrete and extended.

Two secure storage yards

Boat sheds

Has a Fuel berth, but the fuel companies are puling out and curretnly PM is looking at installing their own tanks. Which will be at a cost of course.

Security cameras

Security patrol is rather pathetic. It is one vist at a randome time and for only 6 days per week.

Water on each finger and 16A power on many of the larger Berths and 6A on the smaller.

Rubbish collection

Car park

Free access to Toilets.

Coin operated showers

Coin operated washing machines.

You have to supply your own fenders and mooring lines.

Vistor charge of $30/day

Has a Launching Ramp

Large car parking area for Trailer boats/Cars

Three Boat haulout yards using large trailer and lanuching ramp to haul boats up to 60Ton.

Slipway outside of Marina to haul boats to 110t. Has three tracks and about to put in a fourth with a cradle that can take 150T and will modifiy cradles for smaller keeled yachts.

Expect to pay for all and any extra Marina service provided by surpervisor.

Bayswater Marina.

400 odd berths from 10.5 up to a couple superboat sized.

A couple extra wide for big Multis.

A few 'piles' which are on the floating breakwater so you can actually walk to your boat.

Each berth has it's own power and water inc the Piles.

Good parking and a huge public one right there as well.

Built to the new Code so all 240V 16amp power.

Phone lines can be run to your boat.

Has it's own WIFI hotspot for berth holders to use.

2.2mts depth at low tide in the shallow end.

Massive security and there is no where in the marina that isn't watch by cameras.

Patrolled every 2hours 24/7 and often by boat as well. No sneaking in at 4am, the patrol boat will be there in minutes just to make sure you aren't a baddy.

Security dudes are bloody good and tracking towards being Westhaven Lou's.

Boats being played with or thief is very unusual.

Call on VHF and boat will come out to help you berth if required.

Fuel Dock with 95 petrol, diesel, water and dunny pump out station. Can be a tad exposed to some winds occasionally.

Ferry from inside the Marina to downtown Akl, fully scheduled service all day.

Bus stop at Marina which can take you Devonport or Takapuna way.

Lounge with coffee machines, interweb, TV and the goodies for berth holders and guests.

Lots of live aboards (who have been known to party very hard on a few occasions), many with kids.

Nice atmosphere.

Mail received in the office for boats, no worries.

Anal and active management so it's tightly but fairly run.

Good and very helpful marina staff team.

Any maintenance issues are quickly dealt with.

Run in a very 'Green' manner so dump crap into the water at your peril, they will hunt you down fast.

NO power tools allowed to be used on the exterior of any boat in the marina.

Laundries, showers and etc all there. Kept very tidy.

Nice big amounts of grass areas.

No haulout.

Big launching ramp which the public can use.

Has yard attached with fizz nasty storage, boat sales and 2 motor fixing dudes.

Lovely city views :)

Downsides -

Can get good tidal flows at some times. Not a drama but pays to keep an eye out of parking challenged.

Exposed to some winds a bit.

Can suffer from Ferry or big Fizz nasty wakes sometimes. This will go with the impending change to a solid breakwater soon with the new ferry terminal being built.

Bar those small downsides it is a nice tidy well run pretty full feature marina.

More info inc rates here - http://www.bayswater.co.nz/

Archived