Califont reviews

tuffyluffy

Interesting? I am not sure how it will cope with salt water even if you do flush it after you may find it will have a short life?
I think you can get all stainless versions but still a very good point.

If you go above 65 deg C throw the stainless steel away, above that temperature you get corrosion stress cracking, and you need to go to a duplex stainless such as 2205 grade.

Been in a couple of processing factories will in built hot water sprinkler systems just after a couple of years.

duplex stainless such as 2205 grade.

And this is what I was meaning, many different types all for different purposes.

Well ..... yes, but a lot people think going from 304 to 316 will fix the problem.

KM you cynic, surely the regs are the Absolute Gospel!

Cynical? Yeap

Authority issues? Yeap

Very low tolerance for raving idiots? Yeap

The plan is to have no insurance issues by doing it properly and safely.

All that backdating the Regs is stupid and on occasions seriously dodgy. Like when they changed the Commercial maritime Tickets and were telling people who had worked on the water for 30 years they couldn't as their tickets were now invalid. Good to see a lot just thru MSA the bird and carried on as usual.

Thanks for the great feedback guys. Sounds like i need to put either a really cheap unit in the shower, or a really furken expensive titianium one.

Mind if I ask why you want 2 instead of just running a hot water pipe to both the head & the galley?

Two reasons,

1. My understanding is that the regs state that you can only have one califont per appliance.

2. I want to be able to adjust the water temp while im having a shower without running starkers to the galley califont.

3. By the sounds of things, the salt water is going to bugger one unit quicker than the other, hence ill have hot water redundancy.

4. I cant count.

Well ..... yes, but a lot people think going from 304 to 316 will fix the problem

Sorry SJB, my comment wasn't to you, it was in general to my comment in an above post about the differring types and you pleasantly highlighted that by stating a type for a specific job.

Very low tolerance for raving idiots? Yeap

So you won't be giving your vote to that raving grey haired looney giving the speach on "campbell live" last night. For that matter, I don't think any of them were any better. Adn just to be clear so as you aren't confusing the other two main loonies of Banks and Brown I mean the people in the Booth giving their 90sec speaches. Honestly, I boating better be damn well worth it up there, cause I don't hold much hope for anything else if these monkeys get left with looking after the Bananas.

salt water and heat = sulphuric acid and eats Stainless steel.

Salt water and Heat = Hot Salt water :wink:

Hot Salt water doesn't like Copper too much though. You will end up with two things, one worse than the other. The core of the Caliphont won't last too long and no that part isn;t the worst. The worst is that the disolved copper ends up turning blonde hair green, most especially if it is bleached Blonde and will stain various area's of the shower.

Im generally a brunette kind of guy so this shouldnt be a prob but if a blond does find her way onto the boat, the green hair will be entertaining

And finally I highly recommend the fitting of an accumulator Tank. This slows the cycling of the pump switch and smooths out the water flow. There are some pumps out now that state the accumulator is not needed but I don't agree. I have found they improve themselves dramaticaly with the tank. Not to be confused with the constant pressure pumps that you would find on the real big systems but I doubt any of us would be playing with those systems. The constant pressure unit works by the pump altering it's speed to maintain pressure and flow. And back to the tank, the unit with the rubber bag inside is the best of them all. This stops the dissolving air in the water from waterlogging the tank and needing draining every so often.

Hope that helps

Accumulator tank would be nice, but i have a avertion to fixing heavy shyt into my boat. Two califonts and another pump already makes me cringe.

1. My understanding is that the regs state that you can only have one califont per appliance.

Ummm, no I think you have the wrong interpretation there. You can have as many taps as you want.

Perhaps your easier way of heating Saltwater could be with a simple Solar shower. Wash off with that and then rinse off with the fresh water.

There are other ways of heating the Saltwater using heat exchangers, but becomes a bigger problem than having the accumulator. So no point in going there.

Ummm, no I think you have the wrong interpretation there. You can have as many taps as you want.

I'll double check that with my Cat 1 inspector as thats not my understanding.

We had a diving system once that had been built from new with cheap copper plumbing to carry all the seawater cooling around the various bits of kit that we operate. They lasted about a month before they turned into the sjb mentioned sprinklers. Normally 316 stainless is used.. I can imagine that HOT seawater would be even more dramatic.. I would give the calorifier a week at most..

The accumulator tanks weigh about 500 grams, made of plastic.

What about a carbon one :D

I think i might have to run a sweepstake on this.

How many saltwater showers till Tuffyluffy buggars a califont?

The price will be something off my collegues desk

The accumulator tanks weigh about 500 grams, made of plastic.

What about a carbon one :D

I think i might have to run a sweepstake on this.

How many saltwater showers till Tuffyluffy buggars a califont?

The price will be something off my collegues desk

TEN. :D :D :D

Tom, Try Serada - 44 Montgomerie Rd, Airport Oaks.

I have a NZ made Calypso in my pride and joy - mounted inside cabin on port side by galley. All stainless steel and runs galley and shower. No external venting and all appropriately certified (Safe Ship Management). Six years so far on one C battery for ignition.

The are (or were) in Plunkett Ave, Papatoetoe.

Talk to Muzza as well - he has one mounted in his cockpit locker.

Are they actually called Sarada? or is that a brand they carry? Isn't it Kiwi yachting or another name starting with M, like Marvel Distributors.

Calypso is what i have also and it has run flawlessly for 7yrs now. Replaced the batteries once in all that time, although probably need new ones again very soon. I have the white one. Although fairly dry area, no rust at all anywhere with it.

Archived