Califont reviews

tuffyluffy

Hi, Serada dont make them anymore and Challenge/Marvel only make one but it requires an outside vent.

Will try Calypso.

Amazed at how hard it has become to to find something suitible. Alot of people have talked about the regs, but none, not even my gassfitter actually know what they are!

Thanks Hans, Ive sent Muz so deep east he wont be back in RT range for ages!

Amazed at how hard it has become to to find something suitible. Alot of people have talked about the regs, but none, not even my gassfitter actually know what they are!

Ive had the same issue. Appears there is a fair bit of "discretion' involved which doesnt really help. Im keeping my Cat 1 inspector in the loop with my install so i dont have issues down the track.

requires an outside vent.

They all have to be vented outside. Thats now part of the law. You can not have the exhaust inside the cabin.

The "regs" are just standard Gas installation rules, nothing special, with the one addition for boats being that of the Gas locker having a drain so that any leaking Gas will be drained out and over the side of the boat, so no Gas can seep back down inside the boat. You can only have a certified Gas installer do the work, which is like any Gas installation.

speaking of gas installs, whare the the regs for a gas 2 burner stove. Bottle is in the locker with an overboard drain. Pipe needs to run under the single bunk to the cooker. Looks like a simple bbq type set up to me - just with a longer gas pipe (2m run). Can I use flexi pipe or do I need a gas installer to install copper?

Can anyone tell me why Our Gvt websites are such a Pain in the A to find anything on? Talk about frustrating, going around and around in circles. They are usless. You find a heading, click on the heading and all you get is an expansion of the heading.

PC, sorry I don't know. I am going to continue to search for info. The latest regs came in 4th May this year. But it seems it was just an ammendmant and nothing related to our topic. The next lot of changes seems to be 2006. I am trying to find greater detail, but so far, that doesn't seem to relate either. The main Act is 1993.

By the way, the Marine installation is the same as Motorhome/Caravan if that helps.

As far as i am aware, the califonts are suppoed to be exhaust vented to outside to eliminate the biuld up of Co2.

LPG gives off Co2 and water when it burns and yes, the hatch works as a vent.

I can not find anything relating to venting a system, which is strange. Maybe it was just something discussed and not actually mnade law. I know it has been a big issue with people using those Gas heaters in confined spaces. Several have woken up dead.

Here is something very interesting however. It seems that any installation that is supplied by a bottle under 15Kg, does not have to be certified.

50 Exemptions from requirement to certify gasfitting

(1) This regulation, regulation 48, and regulations 51 and 53 do

not apply to—

(a) any work on any pipes or fittings supplied with liquid

petroleum gas from any portable gas storage container

or containers that contain or together contain less than

15 kg of liquid petroleum gas; or

(B) any gasfitting that replaces an installation’s appliance

with a like-for-like appliance where the work on the replacement

appliance, or the replacement appliance itself,

does not result in repositioning of pipework, repositioning

of flue system components, change in the installation

pressure, significant change in the energy consumption,

change in the ventilation, or change to the operation

of the installation.

(2) In this regulation, replacement includes refitting (where the

same appliance is removed, fixed, and then put back) as well

as replacement (where an appliance is removed and replaced

with a similar appliance (ie, a gas oven)).

Archived