Bit of a sail

So while we've not quite got as far as committing to ditching Auckland all together like people are talking about in sundreamers "Auckland" poll, my better half and I have decided to skip winter and go and help our friends deliver their beneteau first 44.7 from Puerto Rico through to Tahiti.

After much planning at home, me chucking in my job and Sarah wrangling 5 months off work, we left akl a couple of weeks ago. Had a week on holiday in the states and have now been in PR a week or so prepping the boat, which is coming off the hard where it's been in hurricane storage and going into the water later today.

Plan is a shakedown cruise over Easter around here then off to Cuba, down to Panama and through the canal, Galapagos, marquesas, tuamotos, Tahiti. We're slightly behind the bulk of the Pacific fleet as people tend to be on a tighter schedule as they're normally trying to make it all the way to nz/au during the season, rather than just Tahiti.

Sarah has created a Facebook page for anyone that wants to follow along, if you search on Facebook for Kiwiyoti you should find it.

Also keen to hear any suggestions people who've done similar trips have about must see/do places along the route if you have any.

Thanks for the advice BP and the offer of the book Erice. Might be a bit hard to get it from you as I'm already in Puerto Rico...

I've sailed through French Polynesia before through and have various other guides so hopefully we'll be ok.

San Blas is a must stop

Galapogus

Been through the canal twice now, once as skipper once as crew

If you need any contacts re panama or further along email me and I'll send what I've got

We hauled out and anti fouled in shelter bay, Tahiti is very expensive to do this.

symaara@gmail.com

Thanks all.

Jon, San Blas is on the list and we're planning 2 weeks in Galapagos if time allows. Already have agents and various contacts sorted for Panama and Galapagos thanks. We've just done antifoul in PR so all good for now on that front too :)

Thanks again.

Whether we have time in Panama Will depend how long the wait is for the canal. Considering flying back to Columbia for a few days if there's going to be a long wait. If it's a shorter wait we'll just stay with the boat and start provisioning etc.

Are there are decent provisioning options on the west side of Panama? Various forums seem to say no and that you're better off doing your shopping at shelter bay...

Provisioning is easy in Panama City

Get a mooring at the Balboa Yacht Club, your agent maybe able to help but usually you have to just call up once your through and see what's available or just anchor on the edge of the mooring area.

If your on a mooring you just call up and a water taxi will collect you.

There are two marinas down the end of the river as you get out into the bay, I have stayed there but the moorings are better and cheaper

Get all the contact details off your navionics charts on your mobile device if your running one.

Once ashore there are taxi's waiting just up the steps then along to the left, they charge $12 to $15 to take you into town but if you walk out to the main road, an extra 200m you can hale one for $8 if your cheeky enough.

Ask to go to Albrook Mall, 10 to 15min away, has a very large supermarket plus everything else imaginable. Everything is really cheap

Then just get a taxi back

One other note tell the driver on the way back to take you to TGF (Thank God it's Friday) as there is a Balboa dock in downtown and we got caught with this once when we asked to go to Balboa Yacht Club

Also do an evening in the old town for dinner, great restaurants and entertainment

TGF is just across the road from the drop point for BYC