What's my mechanical advantage

Hi folks, I am rebuilding the vang on a Cookson 47 that I am racing on out of Australia occasionally.  The vang was repaired after a breakage and I am trying to calculate what the current mechanical advantage is of this setup.  I don't know how the formula works when a compound pulley system is connected to an intermediate cascaded system.

In the attached diagram the dotted line is confusing me and I don't know how to calculate it.

I am probably not going to rebuild it like this, I just want to know what the advantage is, because it's adequate and I don't need more or less.

Thanks

Vang.jpg

So it makes no difference that the compound 7 is linked to the load as well?

I don't understand this, why doesn't some of the force from the 7 get distributed away from the 4 and directly to the load.

What if the dotted line was attached to the second pulley from the top, would it still be 7 x 2 x 2, or would there now be some equal or unequal distribution of the 7.

I totally get that if the dotted line was attached to the block of three, then it would deffinitely be 7 x 2 x 2, but I am not understanding why it would be still 7x2x2 when one leg of the 7 is connected to the to load.

Thanks

Instead on finishing on the boom is it an option to finish at the top triple block?

Are you looking for less or more purchase?

I can build it anyway I want, I just kind of want to know what the advantage is, cause it's got me stumped.  My guess was it's somewhere between 24:1 and 28:1...

Thanks

I can build it anyway I want, I just kind of want to know what the advantage is, cause it's got me stumped.  My guess was it's somewhere between 24:1 and 28:1...

Thanks

Call it 26:1 and time to rip the top of a cold one

25:1 by my calc, 24:1 through the Cascade, plus 1 extra fall

I get 25:1 too by imagining 1kg of load applied to the yellow line and then adding it up a 6x2x2+1 for the anchoring of the tail on the final cascade block 

I'll go with the 24:1, should have turned the phone sideways for a better look.

Not sure how to work out the extra part.

Just do a practical test, set it, measure it, shorten the whole thing by say 50mm, and see how much line it uses.

Good way to test all our thoughts.