Boat prices

Well in Wellington for the weekend and walked three marinas , I have seen many boats on trademe here , some are just junk , rough , needing lots of work and high prices advertised, one I wanted to see I did , and the photos on trademe were better than the boat , some boat owners just don't do maintainance or can't and expect to get top dollar an eye opener

Went down from Auckland to Picton a few years ago to look at a boat. Photos looked good and was assured by the broker it was a good one. When we arrived at the boat it was a different story. Rough as guts, engine was a ball of rust, dirty dishes in the sink, the interior was filthy and the topsides looked like it had been used as a bumper boat, and they wanted top dollars.

My wife gave the broker a spray for wasting our time. The weekend cost me nearly as much as a weekend in Sydney. Lesson learnt.

IMO Auckland is still the best place to buy a boat. 

Always buy the best of the type you're after, if you cant afford it then either borrow or choose a different (usually smaller) boat. Second hand boats are dirt cheap compared to new.

Agree ! and I have had a similar experience to Chariot looking at a boat in Havelock Marina, the interior joinery was very "Amateur Hour"

It Looked fine on Trade Me though, so yes photos hide a lot IMO, a good broker that you know and trust is the key.

Well what I saw in Wellington I considered as an up grade now I have grandkids , something a litter bigger of the same design as I have now , but I would had to do a complete paint all over. ,and maby a new motor. It was a mess , but the pics looked ok