Tt appears Northland Sea Safety are no longer renting rafts. Too bad, good products and good to deal with.

So - is anyone else doing it? If not where to next? (It's money I hate spending coz i hate the stupid things but no other options at present).

New raft in valse, 4 man for $1,800 (retail in Auckland), 3 year service interval. More than one supplier at that price point.

Makes servicing an old one outright un-economic. I'm sure if you didn't have to carry pyrotechnics in them the service interval could go out to 10 years.

Yes from Wilco,

Sorry, I should have mentioned I was only shopping for Cat 3, so yes I believe they are non iso, and as SMU says, no good for meeting the paperwork requirements of cat 1.

I thought another supplier had the same price for a non iso raft, and I know I've asked at Safety at Sea, but don't quote me on that. The big difference is iso / non iso.

Are you doing the full cat 1 thing BP, or the offshore registration thing?

This is possibly an example of where a piece of kit is perfectly adequate at saving your arse if required, but doesn't meet all of the paperwork requirements. I'm sure the number of flares and rations aren't up to standard, but that standard was probably set in the 1970's when people didn't have satellite comms, GPS and EPIRB, and tended to rift around for hundreds of days until they came across a shipping lane, AND had the good fortune to be in daylight, AND had a crew actually on watch on the bridge etc.

I intend the offshore registry and no cat 1. But use the cat 1 prescription while preparing.

Liferafts annoy me. I think it should be possible to come up with a better solution. But I haven't put any effort into that .

Meanwhile I take crew for the long bits (Angela flies) and feel I should do something rather than nothing.

Single handed I'd be tempted to just pass.

Exactly. I know there have been a few attempts at that and IMHO that would be far superior to a raft. It is certainly a route I'd like to explore at a later date.

Years ago I met a couple who carried a disassembled Polynesian outrigger complete with crabclaw instead of a raft. Their reasoning seemed sound.

That was their thinking. They figured they could do 120 miles per day and survive up to 7 days. That would get them somewhere nearly all the time.

Plus an item you use daily is more likely to work than something in a box in a dark damp hole for 3 years.

Yep liferafts are like skyrockets unpack them and wonder if it’s going to work a good size inflatable hard bottom with some extra s that is already pumped up would give me a better feeling of security and the possibility of getting somewhere

I agree that inflatable rafts have many short comings but better to have one than not.

http://nzh.tw/12044489

BP's proposal of a sturdy sailing dinghy would be much better in that situation.

The story refers to the poor conditions in the raft, sitting in salt water, capsizing several times, not being able to wee over the side so sitting in your own urine, the risk of his mate drowning in the raft if he slumped onto the floor.

More so, the Philipines Govt did not respond to the EPIRB signal, they were rescued by chance by fishermen.

BP's original example of a traditional sailing cat with claw rig - this type of set up would enable self rescue in this situation, and a I dear say a number of other situations.

Having a means of escape, should your yacht sink, is very important - yes. It doesn't have to be an inflatable liferaft. They have substantial limitations. Solid dinghy would be a great start, fit it out with a few basic things also found in rafts, i.e. bottled drinking water, sea anchor, some kind of cover, a bailer, water purifier, comms gear. Cheaper and more robust than an inflatable raft.