Milford marina bridge problems

Boaties stranded as calls to lift marina bridge go unanswered

Up to eight yachts were stuck out at sea recently when multiple calls to get a marina bridge raised were not answered and amid ongoing communication issues.

Auckland Transport, which operated the lifting bridge remotely from its city operations centre (ATOC), confirmed the incident at Auckland's Milford Marina on September 9. 

can't say I'm terribly surprised. It definitely seems to be stuck up at times, too. 

On the whole, though, I'd say that the bridge does a pretty good job of allowing boaties and pedestrians to share.

Quite amusing reading the comments on the article,from no licence required to obtaining a licence then you are issued a call sign??really.

Should put in a operators hut like the old viaduct basin use to be before developed.Be a cushy job for me :razz:

I find it amusing that AT think they are above the law requiring VHF operators to have a licence because the staff used to work in security......

Can we use those sorts of excuse when they fine us?

Licenses for the marine radio service became GURL some years ago, the one 'license' covers everyone. Not sure about foreign going vessels or vessels using HF. Callsigns are encoraged but not manditory but transmissions must be able to be identified. Where the AT is breaking the law is not having a RROC. A restricted radio operators certificate. Anyone can operate a type approved marine VHF so long as there is someone who holds a RROC there at the time or there is an emergency. I 'spouse we are lucky that with the relatively cheap VHF marine HTs on the market and that there is buggar all enforcement, marine VHF didn't become the next CB!