steinlager 1

nz moth

Mate, if you are going to biuld that thing, "the same and as fast" then the price of designing and biulding new molds are the least of your problems. Do you have any idea what it would cost to biuld it??

I don't think you quite understand my underlying concern in my comment. For instance, the Wing mast alone would cost more than most "crew" members boats. At least Carbon fibre can be worked in NZ now.Back then, the Carbon material came pre-impregnated with the resin and frozen in a refer container all the way from International/Epiglass in England. But it was a collosal job and undertaking.

The Hull was a combination of Kevlar and Carbon. She's 60ft and almost as wide. So what I am trying to say is that the cost to bild this thing, means the cost of molds and a guy to design a more up to date design, would be a very small percentage of the overall cost. Or to look at it another way, if you can afford the molds, you can't afford to biuld the boat. Because i can bet ya, there will cost overuns that would eat up big money. So you have to start with more than just one pocket full.

Plus a new design may actually end up saving money. Biulding and expertese in this form of biulding has come a very long way since way back then. Umm, was it 1986-87 the thing was biult?? It sailed 88 didn't it??

Cheaper to buy a Second hand boat like Simon did with G3.

The big cost is keeping and running the boat.....and having people with you good enough that you don't flip it on the second outing.

Best you have deep pockets. I think your dreaming.

Ok I see where you are coming from and a little more info is needed. which I will do today. So who made the spares for her? Who made the sails?

If anyone can find me an 18m tri that could be raced single handed point it out!

Archived