Need to purchase handheld spot light + drill

Heya,

We need to replace the largish handheld spotlight on the boat. The old one is a incandescent type, and we replaced the large battery inside which is rechargeable, but the bloody thing doesn't seem to last long. I assume LED is the go these days. Any recommendations?

Second thing we need on board is a cordless rechargeable drill. Preferably one that can be wired to charge off the 12v system. Again any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Hi bigal. A couple of years back I bought a rechargeable Ridge Ryder point and shoot spotlight from supercheap. I think it's 1000,000 candle power with led and lithium battery at a reasonable price which I can't remember

Actually after dong a bit of googling some people have got the Ryobi 1 system, which lets you use the same battery for the light and drill (assuming you buy the Ryobi drill/torch). There is also a 12v charging station......any caveats with doing it this way?

The other thing googling has turned up on the torch front is that many people seem to be going for a traditional shaped LED torch (like a Fenix or night core) which is much smaller overall rather than the larger units with pistol grip.

+1 on the Ryobi 1+ system. We have the drill (non-impact), dust buster, jig saw, sander and torch and it's all held up very well being in the boat full time. The batteries are pricey but they have last us 2 years so far of light to medium use and don't seem to have degraded much at all

Hitachi better quality than Ryobi?

I also found this bad boy which has got several good reviews : https://www.ebay.com/p/ThruNite-TN42-CREE-Xhp35-Hi-Cool-White-2000lm-1-5km-LED-Flashlight/1090016775

From what I see on you tube will light up things a long long way away and makes the massive incandescent we have look like something from WWII.

+1 on marital. I’m impressed with their gear. Also, just recharged a couple of batteries for a mate who left them in a shed by the river while away for 3 years. Ran them in my weed whacker and they bot( ran as long as my own.

Bosch handtools don't take the abuse my hitachi /makita's do.

Dead bosch drills, multitool before expected end off life.

Then there's the love/hate relationship with the bosch dishwasher.

Hope the alternator isn't listening.

I still have a 91/4" makita from 30yrs ago.

Then theres "Lomu" the 131/4" makita. Bolt yourself down!

I've had no long term success with any lights.

You maybe right however a 6 year warranty, hard to beat that.  

Makita drills aint what they used to be. A while back they were the best battery drill you can buy but not anymore imo. A mate was on his third one recently when the warranty ran out and it died again shortly after.

Ive abused ryobi gear for years and imo they are the best value tools for tradies. They're definitely not as grunty as the Milwaukee/makita/hitachi drills but they are so much cheaper and seem to last pretty well.

I got 3 years out of mine drilling holes in steel and 20mm holes in old rimu. When it broke i spent about $100 on a new one. Thats good value imo.

As for bosch there are 2 product lines and the cheap line is crap and overpriced. I believe the expensive line is good but i hardly ever see anyone with it. I think the expensive stuff is blue and the crap line is green but i could be wrong.

Bosch Green18v stuff, which I started buying a couple of years back, does not seem to hold up to moderate use. The bearings in my non-impact drill are stuffed after maybe 2 years. The range was a bit limited too.

Also Bunnings has now dropped the entire green range. Batteries are not interchangeable with Bosch Blue.

I will now start buying Makita, because it’s worth the extra cash.

It would seem that the Bosch/makita/ryobi stuff that we get is all pretty rubbishy. I'm on my second (green) Bosch drill in as many years and I'm only an amateur, if enthusiastic, user.

By comparison I bought a 12volt cordless drill for the boat in France last year, an 'own brand' from a Mitre 10 type hardware chain. It cost €60 and is robust and pretty heavy and solid feeling compared to my Bosch stuff here at home. And, ok, it's still new but the battery has a very decent life per charge.