NASA Marine electronics

Changed

I've got a NASA clipper GPS repeater at the helm (the plotter is downstairs). It's been in the boat 7 years now - no problems what so ever.

No frills, black and white display but solid and reliable.

Probably no experience with them, because no one has ever sold them here before. So is there someone here now??? I reckon someone should have been selling that range for sometime now.They are not the most attrtactive, but they have large clear basic displays. If they are as cheap here as they are overseas, I reckon they would have a good market. I have never heard anyone rave over them, but I have never heard anyone with anything bad to say either.

One item I have always had my eye on is their AIS Radar. I think these guys were the first to come up with one and it is a screen like a radar that places any boat transmitting AIS info as a target with a tail like that used on weather windspeed charts (metvu for instance) that instantly show direction and speed at a glance. Very cool.

http://www.nasamarine.com/

Thread Drift....

A lot of plotters can now take AIS data and display it - unfortunately a number of them cannot correctly display class B AIS data - I'm still waiting on a software update that will completely fix the problem for number of units I work with.

Furunos first UAIS had a similar (but not as good) display as the Nasa gear and probably cost 10times more though it was a class A AIS unit.

If you are looking at an AIS receiver to hook up to a plotter ask if the plotter will show both Class A and B units and show the names of the vessels (some will only display MMSI numbers for Class B units) as well as AIS AtoNs (Aids to Navigation) both ARC and POAL are working with AIS AtoN systems.

Question- How many recreational boats in NZ play with AIS?

What on earth is a veterinary service group doing with marine electronics? Artificial Insemination Services. :lol:

My Mate's old man was a dairy farmer in the Naki. He used to inseminate his own herd :crazy: :crazy:

What was disconcerting though was the weaner calves would follow you around, if you left the house gate open the would come striaht in to the house yard, in the front door of the house, down the corridor and :shh: :shh:

Archived