the perfect Gulf cruiser - 28' - 30'

Terry B

Hi all, Trailer sailer sold, keeler reqd!!! - want to buy a good all round Hauraki gulf cruiser.

28' - 30' (approx)

Preferably GRP.

New (ish) motor

New (ish) boat - I know, I know, there ain't bugger all after 1980.

Easy to singlehand.

Ready to go, good condition (NO projects!)

Up to $50K.

Not a racing machine but not a dog either. Will be used for cruising only. Family & friends.

Have been cruising Trade Me for, ooh, about 2 years! :lol: looking at what's out there at what price. And now mine has sold I can look in earnest.

I'm thinking the suspects are Lidgard (Demon 10, Demi John, 30'), Challenge 29, Davidson 28 (heaps of these on Trade Me), Spencer (28, 30, 32), Carpenter 29, Whiting 29, Townson 28 or 30, Marauder 8.4, Nova 28, Gulf or Easterly 30, Chico 30.

That's about everyone I think!!!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers TERRY

If I could talk you into a Ferro, check this. Any of these South seas are great boats. I have a friend that built, entered and finished the Sydney Hobart with one.

This particular one is moored very close to me and I took a very good look through her about 7 yrs ago. Good condition with lots of room.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 689606.htm

Same boat

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 873079.htm

This one is cheaper, but also not so smart.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 669566.htm

Or you copuld go for something like this, offer 50K and see how desperate the owner is at selling. There can be some real bargains to be had if you are hard nosed enough. Just don't be in a rush. Summer is fast on the way and many will start listing boats from now on as they think the winter is a bad time to sell.

But if I could talk you inter something the next step up, check these ones out.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... uggested=0

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 745465.htm

... see how desperate the owner is at selling. There can be some real bargains to be had if you are hard nosed enough. Just don't be in a rush.

it does seem there is frequently a big gap between asking price and eventual sale price for many boats...

Wheels, you've probably picked up that I'm no expert on keelers - I came late to "big" yachting (as opposed to lasers, P Class etc which I played around with as a kid - but no expert in these either!).

So I'm kinda thinking I should stick to well known "class" yachts - not so much for resale as for reassurance! And also some of them have good owner groups to join.

Concrete boats don't fall into that category I don't think? You may have other thoughts?.

Having said that, those ones you posted above sure look roomy and well found though.

I'm wondering whether I should also contact a well known Akl boat sales yard and get a tame? salesperson - one with more knowledge than me and is trustworthy - is there such a beast out there you Akl guys??

TERRY

Fair enough comment.The big issue with FC is that it is almost impossible to insure.

I would send Emails to all the boat brokers around the country and ask what they have on offer. I would suggest that they include anything that an owner may drop his price on to your max of 50K.

Take a look at brokers websites. Not all of them list stock on trademe because they get charged for that. Tradeaboat on line is a good place to start because the brokers used to use that site to list everything and it used to link to their own websites.

Great idea Wheels, thanks for that re Trade A Boat and the emailing of boat brokers. I'll work up a list of must haves, nice to haves as a brief to them.

And you're right about not rushing it. The old saying "easy to buy, hard to sell" applies to mistakes made when purchasing!!!

Cheers, TERRY

Ever thought about a Farr 9.2?

Or go to the USA, and score a bigger boat, sail it back and still have change.

Wheels, what was the name of your mates floating footpath, and how did it get on in the Syd-Hbt compared to similar sized, non footpath boats?

If you have 50k to spend I'd suggest getting a boat worth 40k and keeping the rest in reserve. You never know what's going to blow up/out and you could end up having to replace something major.

It's happened to me and to a few people I know - usually a matter of bad luck or just not being quite happy with the sails/rig etc. My engine blew up a couple of days after I bought Tethys and if I hadn't kept money in reserve I would have had a very expensive lump of useless fibreglass until I could save up to buy a new engine.

Wheels, what was the name of your mates floating footpath, and how did it get on in the Syd-Hbt compared to similar sized, non footpath boats?

An old couple well in their 70s or maybe 80's now. Both still very active and I was shocked to hear how old they were, because neither looked it. His carreer was in the Police force, but I don't know what he did. He sold the boat several years ago now. He taught me a lot about sailing. We were quite new to it when we first met them. It was a little sad really. he had biult the boat himself a long time ago and they spent a lot of time on the water. He thought it would take a coouple of years to sell it and thought it was time to list it. Three weeks later it was sold and it took them a little by surprise. The wife had a tear in her eye when she realised it was an era of their life that was now over. I caught up with them about two years later and they had a small Suzuki 4WD and they now traveled around the country seeing everything from the landlubbers point of view now.

Sorry i don't know what years he sailed in the Syd/Hob. His name is Bruce Nichols (spell?) and I think the boat was called Tukua, but i might be wrong on that one.

Apparently it was quite common for Tahitians to be in that race. The Southseas is actually a Tahitian Hull with a different cabin and layout.

Capt Haddock - good advice re keeping money in reserve. I've just had a mate have to replace an engine - BIG dollars!!! That's one of the reasons I'm keen to get a yacht with a new or rebuilt engine. Lets face it, all the 70's and early 80's yachts original engines are 30 plus years old!! And who knows how well looked after they were.

Top 3 individual costs on old boats would be new engine, new rig, osmosis treatment, - Agree?

TERRY

Capt Haddock - good advice re keeping money in reserve. I've just had a mate have to replace an engine - BIG dollars!!! That's one of the reasons I'm keen to get a yacht with a new or rebuilt engine. Lets face it, all the 70's and early 80's yachts original engines are 30 plus years old!! And who knows how well looked after they were.

Top 3 individual costs on old boats would be new engine, new rig, osmosis treatment, - Agree?

TERRY

Okay, I think I'll take up golf. Much cheaper!! Or maybe chess, crosswords, tiddly winks etc etc. In fact if I took up all of them plus skiing it would be cheaper than yachting :lol: :lol:

On the other hand I don't wanna do those things. And it's only money.............and nothing will go wrong.............. :?: :?

Yours frugally,

Kashmai Czek.

I saw that BS, but she's $65K............... bit steep for me.................

TERRY

Remember, what the owned wants, and what the owner gets are often two completely different numbers.

Id give the owner a call and tell him youre interested in his boat, but only have $45K to spend and see what he says. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Archived