the perfect Gulf cruiser - 28' - 30'

Terry B

Remember, what the owned wants, and what the owner gets are often two completely different numbers.

so, so true. some boats for sale from when we were looking 6 months ago are still up for sale, some with prices now reduced by nearly 50%. and still not sold. there are a lot of optimistic numbers out there.

My advice would be to know what you want and what its worth so as when the right vessel does surface you can make a quick decision. There are a lot of vessels that have been on the market for a while but the really good ones are still disappearing very fast.

Every one has their own personal preferences so it's up to you to figure out what you like. Some like big open cockpits, some like closed secure feeling ones. For others the head room in the cabin is important. How many people do you want to sleep?

Personally I like a vessel that fits the family but I can still take out for club racing. Club racing is a fantastic way to find your and the boats limits without scaring the bejesus out of the other other half or family/friends. A lot of the club racers are more than happy to show you through their vessels to see if it's what you are after. You will quickly learn what you like and don't like and thereby narrow down your list.

The last thing I would say is don't be in too big of a hurry. The right boat will come along but only after you have done the hard work.

Wise words Farrari. I've spoken to a few people (one or two from Crew.org as well) in the last few days who have given the same advice:

take your time - there's always yachts for sail

try out a few different boats/classes

Decide what's important to me/my sailing requirements

check the boat out thoroughly

I think I should join a club at Westhaven - I've not bothered in the past but I'll meet more people, get to try a few boats and maybe do some racing - on others boats (if they're silly enough to have me) so I get a feel for different set ups etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

TERRY

Suggest you give Richmond Yacht Club ring - talk to Glenda (Ph 3764332).

Richmond runs a Friday series aimed at people just like you - skippers make their boats and themselves available on Friday evenings for a very casual hands on race aimed at beginners and prospective boat owners. You are rostered on a different boat every time to get a taste of various craft (and skippers). Boats range from trailer yachts through to larger keelers and most will let you helm at times as well as pull ropes.

It is not a sailing lesson but a "taste" although most skippers impart knowledge and short seminars follow in the clubhouse afterwards.

Ahem, I am well known for my enthusiastic participation in seminars of the aforementioned variety.

I go to them often as I find I need refresher courses..................... :lol: :lol: Must be an age thing.

I'll give Richmond a call - thanks T

Yours listingly,

B. A. R. Fly.

Wise words Farrari. I've spoken to a few people (one or two from Crew.org as well) in the last few days who have given the same advice:

take your time - there's always yachts for sail

try out a few different boats/classes

Decide what's important to me/my sailing requirements

check the boat out thoroughly

I think I should join a club at Westhaven - I've not bothered in the past but I'll meet more people, get to try a few boats and maybe do some racing - on others boats (if they're silly enough to have me) so I get a feel for different set ups etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

TERRY

It took me a year of searching to find AC, including outside Auckland. And I abandoned two purchases following below-par survey reports before getting lucky 3rd time. After a year of looking I was so in tune with what I wanted that I knew AC felt right within 10s of stepping aboard i.e. the marine equivalent of love at first sight! Walking away from a potential purchase after you've invested in a lift-out and survey is a big decision but it's the right thing to do if you think it will save you further unwanted cost and worry in the future. And if you're relatively new to it then find a mate who knows boats better than you to act as a sounding board and decipher some of the sales pitch you might be exposed to from time to time. Maybe not drag him around every viewing but if you get seriously interested in a boat and want to go back for a 2nd/3rd viewing, test sail, survey etc then bring in a knowledgeable friend who can maintain an objective assessment.

And I abandoned two purchases following below-par survey reports before getting lucky 3rd time. After a year of looking I was so in tune with what I wanted that I knew AC felt right within 10s of stepping aboard i.e. the marine equivalent of love at first sight! Walking away from a potential purchase after you've invested in a lift-out and survey is a big decision but it's the right thing to do if you think it will save you further unwanted cost and worry in the future.

And I thought I was the biggest tyre kicker in the NZ yacht market!!!!! Certain brokers look at me with that "not him again" look on their faces..

TWO surveys AC!! Very painfull. It was hard to walk away from the boat I had just ONE survey done on. $$$$$

I've also been looking for ever, and actually my requirements have changed, but narrowed.. There are a lot of yachts out there that need quite a bit of work, yet the owners are still asking reasonable money. The costs add up fast!! I agree that you have to do your homework. A good surveyor helps a lot!

I actually have had my "AC moment" when I walked on a yacht recently, but couldn't find the money immediately, and now the owners are not sure they want to sell. I'm pretty sure I've got the reddies now and will have another go. AC is right. You will "know" when you find the right yacht!! This one is just great, and there are not many around. Most that are over 20 years old are not very well mainatained from what I have seen, and need a lot of work. It is rare to find the immaculate yacht of that age.

Keep looking Terry, you're not alone!!

Love my Whiting 29, one of the biggest volume boats of its size but still sails well. I sail most weeks against a Davidson, Marauder, Nolex 30(and bet them most days :D ) and sometimes a Lidgard 29. If you want to come for a race one night send me a message. Race out of BBYC on a Tuesday night.

Sorry I haven't replied guys - went sailing over the weekend! not much wind but beautiful days. And forgot the camera again!!

Your thoughts are appreciated. While I was out sailing I talked to a few more people - they echo all you guys are saying.

Thanks for all the advice.

There are very few new or imported second hand under 30 ft yachts hitting the water in NZ, especially the cruising more than racing oriented bracket.

I expect these 30 year old yachts will keep their value, but the price will become more dependant on condition as they get older.

Hey all, I've been quiet on this as I thought the sale of my previous luv had fallen over.

But the money finally arrived in the bank account. She's officially an "ex" now!! I think we'll both get over it...................

So I've taken on board a lot of what you guys have said - joined a yacht club (thanks Big T), planned approaches to the brokers; narrowed down my selection to reputable makes/models; got my list of must haves, great to haves, what the wife would like, nice to haves (in that order); :lol: will use a good surveyor; and I'm taking my time and keeping some cash in reserve.

The tyre kicking starts this weekend...............in between/after daughter's school fair, mowing lawns etc................

And I do really appreciate all of your advice. If I cock this up I've only got myself (or the wife who wouldn't give me enough money) to blame.

Looking forward to it................ great start to summer weather wise - enjoy!!!

And I'll keep you posted - if you couldn't care less then block this thread...............

Archived