the perfect Gulf cruiser - 28' - 30'

Terry B

Gidday all, just thought I'd update this thread - for those who were interested enough to post and those who helped with advice etc. You know who you are.........and I thank you.

After much looking, one failed purchase (bad survey), much angst, and not a few quiet beers trying to lubricate the decision making wheels in what passes for my brain, I take possession of a Whiting 29 tomorrow (good survey, price the previous owner and I were both happy with). And, of course - SHE IS GORGEOUS!

Can't wait to get out there.

And I got my insurance thru one of the advertisers on this site (I'd not heard of them if I hadn't seen them here) - advertising DOES work!

Looking forward to wasting more of my children's inheritance!!!!!!

I take possession of a Whiting 29 tomorrow (good survey, price the previous owner and I were both happy with). And, of course - SHE IS GORGEOUS!

Can't wait to get out there.

And I got my insurance thru one of the advertisers on this site (I'd not heard of them if I hadn't seen them here) - advertising DOES work!

Looking forward to wasting more of my children's inheritance!!!!!!

Thats two of us tyre kickers that have gone all the way Terry. Well done mate. I hope you get a heap of joy out of her.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It's a hard road isn't it? I also paid for 2 surveys, and didn't go with the first boat when I added up the work. (Not that it was a bad boat. Just little stuff).

The last (and expensive) hurdle was the marina berth. That really hurt.

Well done Terry. What's the name of the Whiting 29?

I also used an insurer who advertises here and was reccomended by crew members. Top, fast service and a VERY competitive quote. Thanks Aaron!

You'll enjoy her. Our 29' has covered quite a few thousand miles since we bought her, been through some serious crap weatherwise and never broken. Turns her heals when the need arises, we were going to get tee shirts printed for the Friday night races in Tonga "No Beneteau Beat Us"

Thanks guys. Her (current) name is Total Response. She's been living up the river at Panmure Yacht Club.

I'm thinking of renaming her (to what I don't know yet).................. but one thing at a time. Best I learn how to sail her first! I'll make no alterations until next summer - I learnt my lesson with the last boat - get to know her first or waste a s$&t load of money and time. :roll:

And congrats on The Marshall - she's a beast!! Way to complex for me! I look forward to watching you blast past me......................

As you say Pwederell, I've heard nothing but good about the Whiting 29's. Goes uphill really well. And given that I seem to spend a lot of time doing that no matter how closely I follow the forecasts that's important! :lol:

That Panmure Yacht Club has got a lot going for it as well (I'd not been there before) - no bashing into the SWester to get to Westhaven, moorings are cheap, as are haul out etc. And seem like a great bunch of down to earth people moored up there. That river doesn't take long to get out of - no longer than getting out of the Harbour from Westhaven.

Archived