CC _ The Start _ LIVE

The email has just gone out and it is on the homepage. This year, thanks to Mummyships wizardry we are attempting to bring live video and audio of the start of the HSBC Coastal Classic to your computer.

Many thanks to Mount Gay for sponsoring this (we had to bribe a lot of people and a bottle of the golden fluid sure helps).

Now I just hope it all works. :o

SJB will be off to the Hawkes Bay A and P show to drool over John Deere tractors, Gallagher electric fences and Ford Falcon utes.

Then out to the car park for a session on the Tui, a few woodys and the usual fun and games watching Mongrel Mob scum getting done over by the cops as they try to leave via the only two gates after a day of boozing and smoking P in the sun.

Ah the Bay....such fond memories.

We've got enough bandwidth and server resources to saturate well connected ADSL links (HD streaming video has been tested and is easy) but we will be giving consideration to those with lesser connections. The final decision on the size and quality of the stream will be tomorrow when we run some tests and get some people on board to see how well the various NZ ISPs handle it.

MS you can sign me up as a tester if you like. I've got broadband apparently but now that the novelty of having internet that is faster than dial up has worn off it's slow at times.

:thumbup: Indeed. I can't watch the start like I usually do as I have client appointments that I won't be able to get to, but I will be able to watch it on my pc for a while, so way to go! :thumbup:

AA, who's your ISP? If we can, it'd be good to get one or two from each ISP to see how it goes.

The good news is weekday mornings are light as far as network load goes for ISPs, and the data will be served locally to those ISPs that peer (swap traffic for free which speeds things up immensely) at APE (and a few that don't).

Thanks. Squid's still Xtra I believe, which will cover a large amount of users.

Hope that it doesn't rain tomorrow, as laptops and camera and mic out in the rain isn't really an option - unless fried Squid is your thing :)

We tested this today, and all went smoothly. We carried out a bit of tweaking to find a balance between quality, size and smoothness, with Squid's Xtra connection as the benchmark. We also tested from another couple of locations with no issue at all.

The limiting factor wasn't so much our upload speed (over 10MB/s) but with the streaming speeds possible over the average ADSL connection. As such we've changed tack a bit, and will stream it back to one of our servers then to a streaming service which uses Akamai's Content Delivery Network (CDN - over which Apple, Microsoft, updates, Facebook, etc are delivered over) which has servers located within most major ISPs' network cores in NZ. The downside of this is that the service includes ads now and then :(

Since I'm racing, it's up to Squid and team to put the sector panel up and aim it in the general direction of the Sky Tower - it's all configured and ready to go, so it should be trouble free. If not, talk to the many tentacled one.

Archived