Sagitta Spencer built/campaigned by Simon Willis

ToyTec

I have recently taken over custodianship of Sagitta, known to me as a 1985 Spencer built by Simon Willis.  I intend to reach out to Simon this week to hopefully get the full history as he recalls it.

Any other remembrances would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, I was told that this hull was originally designed in 1959 as the trail of the Infidel hull shape. Would like to know what became of that earlier sistership. Or be corrected ASAP if this information is not correct. 

There was an article on her titled "Sagitta. This Spencer arrow proves a point" in one of the national yachting mags a few years back. 

I've Just spent a little while searching online for it, but no success.

Maybe someone has a copy floating around.

2 hours ago, madyottie said:

There was an article on her titled "Sagitta. This Spencer arrow proves a point" in one of the national yachting mags a few years back. 

I've Just spent a little while searching online for it, but no success.

Maybe someone has a copy floating around.

if it was in Boating NZ there is a fair chance i have it, if the range could be narrowed down a little......

On 1/08/2021 at 12:25 PM, grant said:

if it was in Boating NZ there is a fair chance i have it, if the range could be narrowed down a little......

It's likely that it was Boating NZ, I had a subscription back then. Would have been early '90s, I think. From memory the Mummery design "Icefire" was tested just a few months later, and there was a brief comparison as the two boats were alongside the jetty side by side.

Although my memory is rather rubbish these days, so I could be way off track.

Anyone got NZYachting or Seaspray from that era laying about??

Sagitta was a Modified Spencer Saracen there were 3 of them built the most famous being Saracen for Tom Clarke as the trial horse for a much larger boat the larger boat being Infidel .Simon's boat had a large quantity of lead added and a much bigger keel profile .A larger rig was added with more sail area and a modern cabin profile

Infidel and saracen.jpg

• Upvote 3