New Years Caption Competition

Mothership

Mmmmm, I wonder if it would be different it would be if this guy was some kind of well known kiwi sports personality just doing some training over the hols.... I bet people would be rowing over to ask for autographs! Apart from some 'interesting' technique he does look like he's got a classic oarsman's physique so he might well just be a dedicated member of the NZ Rowing squad keeping in shape for the next big event....

Don't bring logic into this AC. We are busy slagging him off. You may well be right, but where would the fun in that be? :oops:

I saw that and what I suspected was the Walmobile. Laughed my face just about off as someone was counting down something to the rower dude at the same time.

Mummy wouldn't let me go visit Wal, she knows I have time issues as in there is ALWAYS time for 1 more rum before heading back to my boat. As it turned out with Ma and Pa JH a few days later but that's another story.

So no caption but it was bloody funny.

Classic Irony!!

He probably can't actually row a dinghy though. :)

I had a guy aboard my yacht once who was boasting about his prowess on the rowing machine at the gym.

A couple of seconds after realising there was more to it than pulling a handle attached to a bit of string shut him up.

It actually impossible to get anywhere close to the workout required by rowing a dinghy around the bay. Anyone who has tried to put serious rowing power into the average dinghy will know that the rowlocks will rip out within a few strokes!

True about the rowlocks on most dinghys AC.

He could get seriously far away while trying to get his heart rate up though. :D

When I was younger and dumber and about 10kg heavier with muscle power, I used to row 4s and 8s very competitively and like matey boy in the above photo spent plenty of time land training on the Concept II 'instrument of torture'. Then one day in peak of fitness I enthusiastically stepped into my dad's tender, braced my feet on the transom and set off under paddle power determined to get the thing planing! I think the first rowlock tore out after about 10 strokes after which I gave up and padled home canoe. And complained to dad about the piss poor quality of his 'rowing boat'. I've been v wary of all tender rowlocks ever since, apart from properly mounted metal ones.

My book told me to get ashore I would need understand the concept to row a tender - so far I've rowed my concept 2 until my hands are definitely tender and I am sure I am not an inch closer to that boat ramp - damn you to hell Luxury StinkBoat Owner Monthly!

Archived