KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

Knot at all. I used to sail with a very well known top end dude who I always had to tell him which tack we were on and who had rights. In the end and as Paul said above, one day I wrote 'Good keep going' on one side and 'GIVE WAY' on the other of the boom. It worked damn well :)

Sorry Wheels :oops:
Nah mate. I'm not worried at all, or I wouldn't have made the comment about just me and put the faces on.

Although the only worry I did have just slightly is, that we don't want to put newbies and luerkers off from posting because sometimes they can be afraid of being jumped on.Just something to keep in mind.

(Ideally I would like stick on "GIVE WAY" signs about 150mm high. Anybody know of any?)

Found at an intersection near you!

Tried one of those, a bit big at 150Cms, and the lump of concrete did a lot of damage in the gybes and two of the crew are still swimming ashore :lol:

so a nice smaller "Give Way" sticker about 150mm (milli-metre) or 6 inches in real measurements would be good.

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

I have simply never had anyone at anytime or even read anything anywhere that says which is which in reference to tack.

Collision Regulations or more correctly the Internation Collision Prevention Reulations. There is a brown covered book with the International Regs from TransPacific Marine.

In NZ the MSA has the Maritime Rules Part 22 and repaets the above but with some minor word changes. These are in the middle of the EXCELLENT NZ Coastguard "The Rules of the Road at Sea" $20.

So in true official type wording and knowing you are not a square rigger:

Rule 22.12 Sailing Vessels.

(1) . . the windward side is defined as . . . (B) . . . the side opposite to that on which the mainsail is carried.

(2) When two sailing vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision, one must keep out of the way of the other as follows -

(a) when each has the wind on a different side, the vessel which has the wind on the port side must keep out of the way of the other;

(B) when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward must keep out of the way of the vessel to leeward;

© If a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or starboard side, it must keep out of the way of the other.

So a "tack" all depends on where the mainsail is carried.

A starboard tack has the mainsail on the port side, and has the right of way, but all the other rules apply including:

22.5 Look-out

22.6 Safe speed

22.7 Risk of Collision

22.8 Action to Avoid Collision

22.17 Action by the Stand-On Vessel

Happy reading :thumbup:

and AFTER you have your collision, you must tell the MSA, Harbourmaster and your insurer.

:think: :think: :think:

What about sailing when the mainsail is not hoisted :?:

What about when sailing by the lee :?:

These rules only apply if you "SEE" the other vessel, don't they :?:

any good sign writer could make one up for you in about 5 minutes to the colour of your choice, dayglo orange, reflective, whatever, ready to stick on.

Yes but the word "FREE" is important.

Do the traffic police have them :?:

what if the boat has no mainsail - but has a wing!

Actually I thought the rule was amended sim. to the RRS - ie. windard side being that side from which the wind is coming. oh well - back to school for me!

what if the boat has no mainsail - but has a wing!

Actually I thought the rule was amended sim. to the RRS - ie. windard side being that side from which the wind is coming. oh well - back to school for me!

Normally RRS only apply in daylight because the SI's generally say International Collision Prevention Regulations apply from Sunset to Sunrise or Dawn or very occasionally Twilight, civil or nautical.

So I quoted the basic foundation rule that everybody has to (must rather than should) obey.

Many do not know about the RRS and in any event the RRS only relate to racing yachts that have agreed to comply with them or say 50% of a day for a "x"% of the sailing boats actually on the water.

In Auckland last afternoon before sunset, the racing % of boats was very high for a couple of hours. Earlier in the day or for most of the day, the racing yachts were "NIL %".

Wheels wanted the definative source so the Collision Regs were quoted which applies to him as a cruising sailor, until he arrives in Auckland of course :lol:

WING. Interesting of course, but the AC boats and those other large multihulls, still have one hull in contact. nearly always, with the water and a rudder to steer by, so still a sailing vessel.

In the International Regulations, that I can't find right now to quote from properly, there are details and references to WIGS or WAGS being WINGS in Ground or Surface Effect. The Russians have large Jet aircraft that float, and then fly about 1m above the water. These are monster tank carrying aircraft that skim the water surface. There have been photos posted in these forums. There are video clips on Youtube.

I suppose the NZ Collision Regs have excluded these as we are unlikely to have them here . . .

OR

Are the Russians comming :?: Back to fears of earlier days :?:

I know I have digressed FYI. :thumbup:

But Port/starboard are irrelevant when you are about to hit - the game is not to hit each other - ever...

and that's it exactly. I am used to sailing ina confined area, where youtend to give way to anyone if the need should be, not that you have to give way or that you are the right of way boat, you just remain prepaired.

But we have the beauty of not haveing a crowded waterway. It is going to be a little different once I am in auckland I am sure.

But Port/starboard are irrelevant when you are about to hit - the game is not to hit each other - ever...

and that's it exactly. I am used to sailing ina confined area, where youtend to give way to anyone if the need should be, not that you have to give way or that you are the right of way boat, you just remain prepaired.

But we have the beauty of not haveing a crowded waterway. It is going to be a little different once I am in auckland I am sure.

Make sure you make the Thursday Ponsonby Rum Race.

Do you have an ETA :?:

For the boat Paul??? I have applied to the council for a mooring. Did that before Christmas, but haven't heard anything back yet. Bad time of the year for the Harbour master I imagine, so I am happy to be patient. Then when we get approval and a spot to drop a rock with some string tied to it, we can start looking at a time to get the boat up. I am watching weather patterns as this year it's all very different. But it's all a bit crystal ball gazing at the mo.

KM is hopefully coming with us, so that gives me some experience on board and especially for Auckland area. I have heaps of offers from others too.

Hopefully we can get her up before Winter.

Just tootled around that area today with the kids in the RIB wheels, just to the Auckland side of upper harbour bridge. There are quite a few old mussle farms that "look" long abandoned. I wonder if their mooring fees are all paid for? Maybe a chance of getting in there somewhere? Nice and handy to the old airforce ramp, and quite sheltered by the look of it.. Quite a hike out to the gulf though. Good luck with getting a mooring! Where did you get your house in the end??

Whenuapai Smithy.

Yeah there are some absolute wrecks out there eh. Most especially that thing just ont he other side of the bridge. I was thinking about KM when I saw it today. It might be a right off, but I also thought, man that would make one hell of a big "dark side" boat for KM.

Whenuapai Smithy.

Yeah there are some absolute wrecks out there eh. Most especially that thing just ont he other side of the bridge. I was thinking about KM when I saw it today. It might be a right off, but I also thought, man that would make one hell of a big "dark side" boat for KM.

Yeah, I know the one you mean. Dark side alright. Looks like it might have been a party boat in a past life.. Hey, PM me if you are keen to hook up for a beer/Rum, maybe next week when you have settled in a bit. :D

Let alone windward leeward rules....But I'm holding off starting that as a fight till I've lodged the MSA complaint around Col Reg rules......

:think: :think: :think:

What about sailing when the mainsail is not hoisted :?:

What about when sailing by the lee :?:

These rules only apply if you "SEE" the other vessel, don't they :?:

1. Mainsail not hoisted? Which side is your Genoa on? Think about it in terms of what you would be able to gather looking at your boat from afar - which side of the boat are you carrying your sails on?

2. This also applies for sailing by the lee. Another vessel that is looking at yours will not be able to tell if you are sailing by the lee or not, so, as the rule states, the windward side is determined by the side your sails are carried and not the direction of the wind. This is the same in the racing rules (frigging lasers.....)

3. Yes, rule 12 is in the section titled Subsection 2 – Conduct of vessels in sight of one another. If you are not in sight of one another, then you are either breaking Rule 5, or you should be reading Subsection 3 – Conduct of vessels in restricted visibility.

For those who havn't found it: http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rules/Rule-documents/Part22-maritime-rule.pdf

The difference between these and the International Regulations, is that we use Seafaring Practice due to the term Seamanship being sexist. (I'm sure that's not the reason, but I'll believe it!)

Archived