KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT

Was sailing from tiri to motatapu in my 28 ft cat.Got a few things wrong and acadently gibed her. As we all know things can get a little hektic at times such as these.She came to a stop and and shook her sails which alarmed my guests (3 children and there farther, all non sailers)

and brought them on deck,which added to the mess I was trying to sort out.

I had noticed a large yacht bearing down on us from about 1/4 mile away.I had been keeping a lookout on this yacht in the hope -ecpectation that it would dip us and give us some sea room.(there was plenty).This yacht was flying along and there were no sings of it aultering course to avoid us,we were on a collision course for sure.

I managed to start my out board and move out of the line of fire just as she passed no more than 10 feet away. As she passed I noticed a lady on the wheel and a guy that had just poped up from down below looking very surprised.I thanked them for the searoom and gesterd with my largest finger.

I have spent near to 1/2 my life at sea on yachts,merchant vessels,tugs fishing boats and ferries. Apart from Yacht Racing this was the closed I have been to a collisian.

The reason of this letter is not to vent anger or keel haul the skipper it is simply to remind all of us TO ALWAYS KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT.

A good look out must be compedent, Never be afraid to ask,Asseme nothing, only deal in facts and look 360 degrees.

Not much to it realy,

PLEASE KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT

If someone wants to tell me how to work the spell check it would be greatly appreciated

Similar has happened to me also. Except we were racing at the time and when we did see the vessel, it was right on our bow and the helmsman turned hard and fast and our bow turned to go with the other boat. Our bow actually tangled with their lifelines and came free thankfully. It was quite a shakeup for all of us. There was four of us on deck and we were all concentrating so much on the boat, we never saw the other vessel sail across our path.

I am not quite sure who was really in the wrong. We were racing, on a track to a marker, the other boat was not in the race, but sailing through the course. The other boat was on our Starboard side with sails to her Port side (is that called port tack) and we had our sails over to our Starboard side(starboard tack??) The angles were such that the other vessel should have been able to see us easier than we see them.

So I guess for your instance and ours, whoever is in right or wrong doesn't really matter in the outcome. In the end, just as you have said, it is important to keep a watch and that applies to both vessels and just because in theory you have right of way, that does not always mean you have right of way.

I think in your case P, this is where a "Horn in a can" can come in handy to point at blast and hopefully raise awarness of your pressence.

Even MOORED vessels don't seem to have right of way! New Years day a large plastic fantastic healed over and was avoiding the Subrizski ferry and forgot other vessels were shrouded by their genoa on moorings in Little Buck! A shout I think saved my pushpit (which already has to come off after another collision!) and the vessel changed course all be it less the 20 feet away. Some woman on the sugar scoup thought it was a great joke. I am horrified at the SPEED and recklessness of vessels plying that stretch. Two sea fleas decided Little Buck was a great place to zip around all over the place ncessitating parents to remove their children from the water.

Take a look at -

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10698666

a fatality in one accident

and 2 injured in another

A teenage jetskier was killed yesterday when he fell off and was run down by friends. It was one of two horrifying water accidents involving young people in popular holiday spots.

The other accident left two boys, aged 11 and 12, in hospital after a boat piloted by a 16-year-old rammed another near the canals of Pauanui on the Coromandel Peninsula.

We were racing, on a track to a marker, the other boat was not in the race, but sailing through the course. The other boat was on our Starboard side with sails to her Port side (is that called port tack) and we had our sails over to our Starboard side(starboard tack??)

Sails to port means they were on starboard tack and had right of way. Unfortunately the fact that you were racing and they weren't makes no difference, your boat was in the wrong. Did they call "starboard"?

Well done Putangitangi, good skills that you are still able to post this. Pretty scary, and unfortunately pretty common.

Been out since Xmas, between Auckland & Whangaroa and have seen several near misses, one with us in the tender and a launch around 50 feet long, that either didn't know any collision regs or else figured that he shouldn't have to give way to a 3.4 mtr inflatable. Got to within about 6 metres before I stopped & gave him the finger, with him doing about 15 knots right across the front of us. Would have expected better from a RNZYS vessel, I thought those guys were all Commodores or Admirals or something.

And sorry Wheels, it does matter who was in the right & who was in the wrong. If you are the stand on vessel you have obligations just as much as the give way vessel.

your boat was in the wrong. Did they call "starboard"?

I figured we were. No they didn't call, at least to our knowledge. We all thought we had a clear path and suddenly this boat was right on our Bow. If it wasn't for the very quick resonse from Helmsman, we would have T-boned them. And seeing as we were sailing a trailersailor, I imagine we would have come off second best as well.

It was also goo for me to learn such a valuable lesson at a very early age on someone elses boat and someone else was responsible. I have never forgotten that experiance and I keep a vigilant watch on my own boat because of that. The fact that what seemed to be only minutes before, nothing was in sight and then suddenly a boat was right smack there had completely shocked me.

We had a Qpti, complete with highly prominent YC branded RIB tracking it, take on 35 tonnes of hard to manoeuvre steel in Bon Accord. If we didn't do a black smoker in backwards NZ would now be one Opti less, possibly a sailor for them as well. The chase boat just sat and watched the whole thing which in my books makes them even stupider than the kid in the Opti. I saw the buggers and thought 'here's a go' so slowed to minimum for steerage and to allow them piles of room and time to get clear yet they did squat leaving us in a very tricky position, along with 4 or 5 other boats also stacked up for the wharf.

I think NZ needs to adopt a 'Darwin Defence' for boating and other incidents. If you run over someone completely bloody stupid you should be able to claim the Darwin Defence and in doing so allowing us to weed out the dumber of society for the good of the whole.

complete with highly prominent YC branded RIB tracking it

The RIB was probably being driven by the same guy that collided another prominently branded RIB into us at the start of a race a few weeks back.

the guy hasn't even attempted an appology yet, I think he might yet end up paying for the damage purely because of his lack of mannors.

Its not that hard to avoid collisions, especially when you are driving a highly manouverable RIB.

But idiots are capable of doing anything.

Wheels, if you were to collide, it would have been considered a "both to blame" situation. But, you could still be prosecuted for failing to maintain a safe lookout.

Something to think about - if they are close enough to hear you call starboard, you should already be taking action to avoid the situation.

So whether they called starboard or not really means nothing.

Simple Tip: Hopefully helpful.

Onthe starboard side of the main boom. put a GREEN -> arrow.

On the port side of the main boom. put a RED "X" cross.

Then when seated normally to windward, if you see the red "X" you have to give way, because you are on port tack.

If you see the green arrow, you can proceed on starboard tack.

(Ideally I would like stick on "GIVE WAY" signs about 150mm high. Anybody know of any?)

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

I was making a feeble attempt to be diplomatic, but yes, it's scary. If semi motivated & involved people like the forum users don't know the rules, what are the rest like?

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

Heeey!!! unfair statement. There are no Sailor's, just me, so that should read Sailor. No S.

However, the term "Tack" in regards to the sail position is what I was wondering. I have no problem with what side is Starboard and Port, nor do I have any problem with what side gives way, nor any other rule of the road...I mean, Sea. I have simply never had anyone at anytime or even read anything anywhere that says which is which in reference to tack.

So thank-you Paul. Helpful and makes perfect sense. :thumbup:

And TL, BK and EE, I promise not to laugh at any of you, if any of you ask what to me is a simple engineering or electrical questions :wink:

Archived