KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT

OK, so I will step forward here and show my lack of knowledge. But this is where I will learn.

First question, where did the rule of starboard come from. Was it just a rule where there was none and perhaps due to little more than a coin toss, the give way to starboard rule was born??

Second, What does "Sailing by the Lee" mean?

This term may mean something quite obvious and simple if said it plain english, or perhaps I should say, modern English, perhaps.

Wheels, here is a Cut and Paste from Wikipedia.

Starboard

The origin of the term starboard comes from early boating practices. Before ships had rudders on their centerlines, they were steered by use of a specialized steering oar. This oar was held by an oarsman located in the stern (back) of the ship. However, like most of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to be affixed to the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered, descendant from the Old Norse words stýri meaning "rudder" (from the verb stýra, literally "being at the helm", "having a hand in") and borð meaning etymologically "board", then the "side of a ship".

Port

An archaic version of "port" is larboard, which itself derives from Middle-English ladebord via corruption in the 16th century by association with starboard. The term larboard, when shouted in the wind, was presumably too easy to confuse with starboard[1] and so the word port came to replace it. Port is derived from the practice of sailors mooring ships on the left side at ports in order to prevent the steering oar from being crushed.

Larboard continued to be used well into the 1850s by whalers, despite being long superseded by "port" in the merchant vessel service at the time. "Port" was not officially adopted by the Royal Navy until 1844 (Ray Parkin, H. M. Bark Endeavour). Robert FitzRoy, Captain of Darwin's HMS Beagle, is said to have taught his crew to use the term port instead of larboard, thus propelling the use of the word into the Naval Services vocabulary.

Sailing by the Lee is when the wind is coming from the same side as the sails are positioned when you are sailing downwind. It can be slightly faster when racing but there is a high change of inducing a crash gybe. You know when you are sailing by the lee while going downwind because the leech begins to flap as the wind catches the back of the sail.

BTW - Welcome to Auckland. I hope you and Dawn are settling in well.

Thanks. I knew that about Starboard, although interesting, I thought Larboard was what became Starboard.

What I was asking though, why did that become the side that is the giveway side. Like why not Port? Was it perhaps because the steering being from that side, the "Helmsman" could see that side better perhaps.

You can tell when a yacht is sailing by the lee because the spinaker trimmer will be shouting WTF, and the helm will be sweating a little more than usual. :D

What I was asking though, why did that become the side that is the giveway side. Like why not Port? Was it perhaps because the steering being from that side, the "Helmsman" could see that side better perhaps.

You're not far off the mark there Wheels. If the steering oar is on the starboard side then when on heeled on port tack the oar will be more deeply in the water giving better steerage and ability to avoid a stand on vessel. Vice versa for a vessel on starboard tack. Therefore the vessel with better steerage (port tack) gives way.

That all makes perfect sense, and shows how far removed we can become from the reasons for rules most of us follow with out considering any reason other than the need to pick one give way side.

This could be why some stinkboaters refuse to follow the rules. They think that because they are not using a steering oar, it does not apply. :roll:

The trick I really like is the failing to stay to the right thing into and out of marinas - the other one is steering 5 tonnes like a car and being quite surprised when it doesn't happen. Oh and outboard drivers who think their engine is a rudder. I am still terrified that people don't know port from starboard. but again showing my limitations (racing background). Having said that there are a few guys in the race fleets that tend to mix it up as well...

If you shout "Starboard" when on Port tack and the vessel tacks away, take note of the Yacht and remember to keep a close eye on wherever they are on the racetrack. :D

If you shout "Starboard" when on starboard and they don't tack away, keep an even closer eye on them. :evil:

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

Let alone windward leeward rules....But I'm holding off starting that as a fight till I've lodged the MSA complaint around Col Reg rules......

Yep I was biting my tougue on that one as well. I thought thems two rules were like knowing which side of the road to drive on. But apparently not.

BTW Wheels, welcome to the big smoke.

Theres some friendly yacht racing at Westpark marina on Wednesdays if your interested. Always boats looking for crew/ballast. ‘Torkey’ at Westpark Chandlery is he man to talk to. Id offer you a ride on my boat, but in off overseas for 6+ months next week

Yep I was biting my tougue on that one as well. I thought thems two rules were like knowing which side of the road to drive on. But apparently not.

Yep, I was much the same. Really this only gives more credibility to the argument that boaties should be licensed unfortunately. The proponents will argue that they can set a minimum bar for skill level. This in itself wouldn't be a bad thing but I fear it wouldn't stop there. Once a unique person can be identified, there is automatically a mechanism to lump various other charges under a user pays banner.

Is anyone else suprised at the 'Sailors' on this forum that dont know their Port and Starboard tacks?

Let alone windward leeward rules....But I'm holding off starting that as a fight till I've lodged the MSA complaint around Col Reg rules......

Glad to hear someone else finds it hard to believe.

Not even an apology for wiping out the top of my rig from that episode!

Unfortunately- from the end of year race there is no support to resolve the issue either.

I probably won't partake in this race next year on this basis- IE if you get wiped out by someone (watch out for Transformer people) there is no proper rules to be enforsed without going through MSA hasstles...

I've not suffered enough damage to hand to the Insurance Company but is was $250 worth of Navlight gear...and someone needs to go up and fix it. (NOT me again after the wobbling last time!)

Anyway...Watch out...

park smokey up next to knot me's big steel, climb rig and pull smokeys rig over to you. done it with a 727 before and that had a marina finger between the boats.

I parked the 930 next to it and my mast only just made the same hight as the mizzen on big steel. Good thinking there Col.

Smokey can't possibly have had two close windward leward calls in one race?

We saw one with an over taking boat to leward hardening up before they were clear, but I don;t think there was contact between you.

Smokey can't possibly have had two close windward leward calls in one race?

We saw one with an over taking boat to leward hardening up before they were clear, but I don;t think there was contact between you.

Only one of consequence...

We gave Start Me Up (R930- which is owned by a mate) a bit of a wind up coming into the mark off Mission Bay.....But let them off the hook with enough time for them to wriggle round the mark still.

I called him out on his first (and now last) get out of jail free!

Didn't even get a rum at the club out of him- reckoned he had the speed! Bit more distance maybe....lol.

10 up the Smokey Joe isn't quite so speedy.....

Archived