cruising new zealand.

Hi,

I am new to sailing and am looking at geting into it to sail arround the south island and north island. I am currently located in Te awamutu in the north island, I am looking at a 12ft hartley to learn an practice sailing on then will be geting a larger boat to go arround new zealand on. What would be classed as a good sized yacht to take me and my partner arround new zealand? Also would a full offshore boat be required or a good coastal cruiser?. We dont wan't to get to the differnt places fast. and why sail in bad conditions? so were just looking to move along slow and explore slowly. What would you experienced people suggest?

You must sell there boat's as i have seen plenty of people doing it with boats under 400k, I actuley used to hold the lease on a boat yard in whangarei and have seen plenty of boats of all different sizes come from all arround the world. But have never realy explored the idea of doing this befor hence the reason i have come here for knoledge

there are a huge range of boats for you to choose from, your budget and what sort of standard of living you would want could range from the afore mentioned Benetau to a Spencer Saraband or similar, one of which has recently been down as far as Stewart Island, mostly single handed.

I believe that people have circumnavigated New Zealand successfully in boats as small as Pied Piper and a Southerly. It depends on budget and the degree of comfort and safety you want.

Conditions around New Zealand can get as bad as most places around the world. Shallow water causes waves to get steeper, and rocks are harder than water. So being near the coast is more disadvantage than advantage in bad conditions.

Why sail in bad conditions? Because you will get caught out in them from time to time. Forecasts are not accurate in the longer term, and there will be some legs of a circumnavigation (especially down the west coat) where there is not much shelter so you will be at sea for a few days at a time. There are also localised areas where conditions will be somewhat worse than the general forecast due to geographic conditions that cause wind funneling.

Personally I would want something about 30 foot and around 4 tons displacement, to have plenty of room, a fairly steady motion and the power to be able to push through confused seas with reasonable comfort.

Boat size is unimportant in terms of being able to do it. It comes down to what you want to handle and comfort level.

What you want to do, is phone a broker and say, look this is our plans and we want to spend a day tyre kicking. This is exactly what we did when we set out at the beginning. The Broker said no problem. He took time to show us on five different boats he thought would meet our needs. That gave us lots of information to know what we personally wanted.

This is how it worked for us. We had a 5yr plan. Start just like you in a smaller boat. We had one lined up for 10K, that was much like an H28. Then in five years we would sell it and step up to a crusier. That was the plan. But after we had spent the day tyre kicking with thebroker, we walked past a big ferro up on a slipway. It was for sale and we decided just for fun, to take a look. The Broker listing this one said yeah certainly. We walked on board and said WOW!!!! this is awesome. This would be awesome. He then said, well we are listing one other like this and personally, I think you would really like it. So he zipped us across the harbor to it and as soon as we saw herin the water, I thought, wow OK this looks really good. As soon as we stepped fott on her, Dawn fell in love with it. That night we discussed our plans and the 5yr plan went out the window and we decided we wanted to buy one of those two boats instead of the 10K one. We finally decided on the second one we looked at and we bought it. So when ever I see couples waling down jetties looking at boats, I say to them, "Don't look too hard, you'll end up buying something". :wink:

However, if you want to stick to your plans, then forget the Hartley. It's just a day boat for around the harbour. You will end up scaring your partner and/or yourself if you try and go further and even a good stiff blow in the harbour will scare you. If you are looking from a cruising point of view that is. You want a crusier. Something forgiveing, simple to sail, yet capable of taking on some of the coastal waters. Our waters are not to be sneezed at. If you sail our NZ coasts, you have just sailed some of the worlds most challenging waters and conditions.

Boats like the H28, Townsend etc are perfect. Cheap entry level crusiing boats. Forgiving and easy to learn on and plenty of room. Don't be afraid to look at ferro. The Hartley Southseas are great roomy boats and easy to handle.

Crusiing is not just about the sailing. It is about the destination. There is nothing like waking in the morning to a fantastic day in a piece of paradise. Being able to do that does require a little bit of luxury, although I have indeed seen ones do it in small trailer sailors. Which reminds me of a couple I saw in the sounds. A small trailer sailor towing a dingy that had all their gear and food in because the baot was too small. They had a cuddy bain that when they slept, their feet stuck out the back. Hey they made it work. But not my cup of tea.

thank you very much for the replys and information, We were looking at boats arround 24ft that have realy well designed layouts, I definitley understand were u are coming from about the fact that sometimes u are going to get caught in bad weather but plan to try and limit that to the minimal(i think everyone hopes for that). We do want all the luxurys on board as shower/toilet and im not fussed on having a full galley inside the boat as cooking on the back in a bbq would be fine. also a sink for washing up built into the seats with a lockable latch. But in winter this could be an issue and as u say out at sea for a few days in bad weather u have to eat. Id also like something with a good inboard motor that can realy move us along if we need to not just a little outboard.The idea of the hartley is we can trailer it arround to different places and have some fun out on the water i wouldnt take it right out maybe arround a couple of bays but thats it. I would need something bigger with better equipment/more equipment to feel safe doing that.

So did you mean a 12ft Hartely, or a 21ft Hartely. The later would be better and OK. The former, which is what you typed, is no more than a quick lets go for a quick blat around the harbor and expect to get tipped out a few times. Hence why I said you will scare yourself and wife off sailing if you tip out all the time.

Sorry have got the boat mixed up its actuley a 16ft hartley, I have seen video's of people sailing them around harbor's and lakes and they looked easy to sail and haven't seen any get that serious? so that's why i thort it would be a good play round boat.

Arrrr yes that's better. Yeah they can be pretty quick too. Not too expensive, so even if you couldn't sell later on, it is not a huge amount to lose out on. However, they do tend to have a good resale market for what they are.

There is a boat we have seen on trademe its 23ft, extreamly nice looking boat for the price they are asking for. it hasnt got everything we want but it definitly could it's an alan wright catalina http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=339748239

153494835_full.jpg

Now im not jumping at it because its cheap, its a VERY nice looking boat but what makes this so cheap? ive looked at boats 3x this price and same size but i wouldnt trust them in the water. ? Also i beleave this mite be a bit lightweight for what i am looking todo? Am i correct in assuming this?

A very nice wee boat and a good designer.

Price? well it depends on despeartion of seller and what buyers are about.

Is it a bit light? no not at all. No more so than anything else around and certainly better than many that size. A very capable boat for the price and size.

As you live in Te Awamutu why dont you go to a Waikato Yacht Squadron meeting or contact someone on the committee, they meet the 4th Tuesday of the month at the Hamilton Yacht club. Also is there still a sailing club a Ngaroto Lake?? Lake sailing can be a good introduction. There are WYS members who sail trailer yachts and keelers. You may be able to get some crewing or at least talk to someone about yachts etc. There is a huge wealth of information amongst the members there, both inshore and off shore. We started on a Trailer yacht 32 years ago, been a WYS member ever since. Would give you a sail or two but we are on our keeler in Turkey at present still not quite half way home!!

You can't go past a Hartley 16 to learn to sail in. Cheap, safe, tough, easy to sail, can be set up for overnight. And you'll probably be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for when you're ready to move up to a more exciting boat.

Is that Alan Wright Catalina a trailer-sailer, or is it a keeler?

G there were a lot of these boats designed at the time that you could build as either a keeler or with centre board as a trailer sailer

Also I'd be thinking that you would need something over 30ft but less than 40ft with a good keel to live on while sailing around NZ as a couple.

Not saying you can't do it smaller but if your still together at the end that's probably a bonus

Archived