Dry Suits

johnMi

I have a full musto dry suit, pros, in a super wet simrad when you take it off your socks are dry.... cons, taking apiss is a mission.

they are good for very wet and cold races, I use mine for simrads and maybe coastal from about 5pm onwards depending on weather...

if u talking diving then thats a whole diff story, I have gone off them completely after owning 2 different brands, now just dive with 7mm (21 across chest)

I would imagine that getting in and out of a dry suit as you're going on and off watch would be a pain in the ass. They'd be snug and warm when on, but taking a pee would be problematic.

The fact that the Volvo guys don't wear them probably speaks volumes.

Dive dry suits can be very hot when you're gearing up .... feel like a boil in the bag chicken.

Having a pee is no problem you just have a zip fitted and the front zip drysuits are easy to get into.

I use a drysuit for diving and while a wetsuit might be great for a short dive once you have tryed a drysuit you will never go back to a wet suit, warm feet is fantatic and being able to strip off to dry shorts and a t'shirt between dives is great when you are doing more than one dive a day.

I think you might find the Volvo guys use drysuits for some of the legs and the rest of the time while may not use a full body drysuit they generally use gear with the same sort of seals on the neck and wrist to keep them water tight.

Make sure you wear the right gear under the drysuit, I think natural fibres stop you sweating so much? but synthetic fibre makes you sweat, therefore warm but wet feet at the end of the day?

Front Zipper a must, I think it adds a little material across the front, and easier to flop it out and take a pee.

I thought the Volvo guys did? having said that Iused to sail with a guy whose son had got him some ABN AMRO gear, took 3 of us to get the spray top thing off him!

Archived