Tassie..

idlerboat

Hi guys...looking at doing a six week solo to Tassie.....

having a little trouble setlling back down after the trip. Figure that another 6 weeks may help :)

But I know that a few of you lot have been to Tassie so what I want to know is your favourite anchorages. In particular, easy good holding , all weather places.

I have done a heap of reasearch and been there many times (land based) but there is nothing like "thems thats done it"....

any opinions ??

cheers

Haha - this man is a lost cause.

SOmewhere in the archives is quite a long article that Kevin Lidgard sent on a cruise to Tassie, as I remember superb seafood. I'll try and find it.

Idler do you have to inform the government of your intentions or are you still allowed to just go when and where you want?Does anyone care if you have the Ballarat lesser spotted weevil on your boat?Just wondering where the lucky country is headed...... :)

Most places in Tassie are:

too damp from the frequent rainfalls so bush fire risk is LOW.

too steep so the flood waters disappear quickly

too overgrown with green stuff so the red dust levels are LOW

So Tassie is currently more attractive than all the other states combined.

ENJOY :thumbup:

Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...PULL THE MAIN ON HARDER....Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...Im not twitchy...im not twitchy...

...it may work Wheels!! its worth a try :thumbup:

Squid ..love to see the article..

Nonam....We can go anywhere inside the nautical limit ...dont even have to declare my dog... :) Funny you say that, we have a growth on the bottom of the boats here that no other boat in this marina has. It can only have come from up north....

PaulR...two out of four aint bad....they have had both bushfires and floods recently !!

But totaly agree with you..best place in Oz to spend Autumn.

And after Autumn, I suggest getting your butt and boat across here.

Unless it's you that has cursed OZ. What you been doin lately. I hope no naked dancing around bonfires at midnight cutting off the heads of chickens.

good on ya guys...will follow up...

do remember the article from sunstone , but think that was a few years ago.?

Not that too much will have changed.

The big tricky is St Helens...a barred entrance....

Need to know more. (mind you I think I need to track down a local and ring)

This is a biggy, because if I do a hop straight across to Stanley and then work my way east, there is a big and tricky jump (aprox 143 NM) around the corner south of the islands.

Strong currents and narrow passages.

I need to be certain of a safe harbour after that.

I dont want to do limited windage anchorage after a run like that, because I know I will be nacked and having to move in the night to a differant anchorage is where mistakes will happen.

(hope that makes sense)

cheers

Yup my folks still live on their boat in hobart. They have been there for about 6-8 years. they LOVE it over there and do alot of cruising. you will find them either in kettering marina or Barnes bay on bruni island. Big Black gaff rigged ketch called NZ Maid.

Flick me an email and I will put you guys in touch as they know their way around pretty well now. Josh@nz.northsails.com

Hi guys....unfortunately...money and the weather have beaten me...

so no Tassie...for a little while. As a live aboard I guess I will have to settle for western port mud and another Melbourne winter. :thumbdown:

booboo you are a gentleman...if I may,..I will put your email addy in the "when things get better" basket.

Others have left and come back from here to Tassie in the mean time, and I probably could have done it, no worries...I built this boat for solo, but didnt find the window that I was happy with. Regret it now big time.

Employment and money is now the battle.

Cant really complain, after all I am now living on the boat that I have built (6.5 years) and have done a 3000 nm shake down cruise....

anyone know of a job for a multi skilled 47 year old with middle high school as his best formal qualy ?

cheers to all and for my own thing..I hope the time ball tower gets re built.

Archived