Variant vs Southerly

I want to know your opinions on variant and southerly.

I am thinking about getting into sailing and for me these two boats are a good first boat for those who have limited budget. I would like to know what's pros and cons between those two and seaworthiness.

My opinion is those two boats are very close matched and has distinctive difference in design that puts one or the other better.

1. Engine Placement. Their small sizes make outboard more favored option. Some have diesel but most don't.

Southerly provide bracket that you can place propeller under the water and this make so useful specially when water is choppy. Southerly > variant

This is my first thread and I will add more as others contribute and comment.

Similar price it looks like the Variant is the winner. They were not all made by the same manufacturere and plenty home built, no reason not to buy one, just make sure it's a good one.

2. Maneuverability. I've been looking at John vigor's book "offshore sailboats". Over the years of evolution of yacht design, the modern shape moved towards to more waterdynamic efficient and faster fin keel design. But downside of this desgin compare to traditional full keel is that fin keel is more susceptible for sudden side force from wave and gusty wind which makes it unfavorable during storm situation. Hence, better maneuverability sacificing for seaworthiness. Southerly has the full and fin in between hull shape make less maneuverable than variant. Variant > Southerly.

3. Seaworthiness. Just looking at the hull shape. As I mentioned above, southerly has slightly advantageous shape than Variant. However, my understanding of built quality of the two boats are limited. Trusting the boats are built by compass Australia for southerly and Alan wright factory (not so sure), they all strong boats for some extent. I don't think 23 footers are suitable choice for offshore but some have made circumnavigate nz. So surely a seaworthy for its class. . Overall, I want to give southerly > Variant for its half keel design. Plus One of previous southerly owner said "southerly is strong as sh*t house" in "beginner sail boat thread".

Thanks everyone for a healthy discussions and comments.

I've been struggling to find information about Variant and Southerly but there aren't many out there, but, it seems to be existing in the brains of those people who have sailed in NZ water for sometime.

I have never owned Southerly or Variant nor I was on the either of the two boats. My comments are imaginary learning from books and crew.org.nz forum. I am so glad that we have active Sailing forum and everyone is so enthusiastic, honest and helpful. In this thread, I want unbiased open discussion about the two boats and hoping this helps others in deciding for purchasing their first sailing boat.

4. Price. There is more popularity of Variant than Southerly because many reasons that people mentioned above, roomier and it sails better. I believe the average pricings of the two boats are

Variant $3500 - $6500

Southerly $2500 - $5000

Above are my guess and it seems reasonable after many days of Trademe window-shopping. That value is actual sale price not display price.

The lowest value is pricing point for ready to sail boat but you wouldn't expect top notch quality and other gadgets. Higher price you will get better sails and reliable engine.

Never been on a Southerly, but I always recommend Variants as a first boat to anyone shopping in the sub-$5000 or thereabouts market. My partner sold his Variant when I bought a bigger boat, but I sometimes wish we'd been able to keep it - they're awesome little yachts, very seaworthy and forgiving, very safe, roomy (for a 23 footer - we had mum, dad, my partner and I away for three days in the BOI with two sets of dive gear, 5 tanks and a 150lt chilly bin full of booze! And the couple who bought my partner's off him LIVED on it for a year!), low cost and little maintenance (oh how I long to own a boat with an outboard again as opposed to an inboard...)

In short, Variants rock! Just do it. :D

Wow! I have no doubt that Variant is a good boat!

Can someone please share their experience in Variant or Southerly for a long passage making and getting through a storm? Big swell and breaking waves etc. What was your tactic with these little boats? Any awkward charateristics you discovered in such harsh conditions?

Variant

LOA: 22ft 6in

LWL: 17ft 6in

Draft (fin keel): 4ft 3in

Displacement: 1.4 ton

Sail Area: 215 sq ft

Ballast: ?

Beam: ?

Calculated hull speed of Variant is 5.45 Knots

Southerly

LOA: ?

LWL: ?

Draft (fin keel): ?

Displacement: ?

Sail Area: ?

Ballast: ?

Beam: ?

Could someone also share measurement of the Southerly?

I had mine in some pretty bad conditions with waves over the deck etc. No special tactics, just usual sailing stuff. Reduce sail early, allow plenty of time for a long trip, no point overpowering them because 6.7 knots is the top speed. One interesting thing I found out is that keeping the boat weighted forward a bit by stowing heavier items further forward had a positive effect on speed.

Thanks Variant. Your boat looks so lovely in that picture!

My other questions is how much do you spend annualy for upkeep? Some said it's low maintenance but I would like to know close figures.

I would say swing moor would cost roughly $50~80 /months

Anti foul $400 paint, $50 standing pole or $300~400 haulout / 2 years. Can you do beaching with fin keel?

Sail maintenance? What else? I would put $500 /year for little extras.

How much insurance? do boats have 3rd party?

Annual cost

$1000 (mooring)

$400 (Antifoul)

$500 (extras)

$1900 Annually for keeping a keeler.

These are my guesstimates. Any input welcome.

Alas I don't actually own that Variant anymore (might change my name :problem: ). It was a great first "big" boat though.

My running costs were Mooring $1200.

Bottom paint every 2 years was OK with a few swims with a mop between, so $500 per year.

Mine was fin keel so no beaching but you could put it on a tidal grid if you wanted to.

And $500 per year for extras would be the minimum.

I had insurance, I can't remember the cost but it was'nt much.

All costs were around $2500 per year.

The Variant is apparently available with quite a range of keel/rudder/rig options ,hence the name.

I've only sailed on one once and giving the class the benefit of the doubt, I must have had the misfortune of being on one rigged with the worst possible combination of the options. :D

It was a first sail on a newly purchased boat with a grubby bum, but we quickly realised we needed to have left Evans bay on Thursday if we were going to get to the startline by Friday afternoon for a rum race into a 25 knot headwind up Evan bay to Port Nic.

We gave up trying to tack it, it would get head to wind then go backwards falling off to the new tack if we were lucky. :D

I avoided the callup again, but she did apparently get around the track after an antifoul and a few other tickle-ups.

I've sailed on both, but only in nice weather and it was many years ago. The Varient was a well mannered boat that sailed well. It was a fin keel setup and you wouldn't want to consider anything else. The Southerly sailed ok but from my memory not as well as the Varient. Similar amount of room inside.

My money goes to the Varient as it has an excellent reputation and provided you care for it, you will always be able to sell it.

Variant, no question. Apart from every thing else, the designer is still alive and available for advice (only just as he is only 5 days younger than the Fossil) and he designed the original for his father. Make sure it is the fin keel though. Good sailing.

Archived